Top Events in Athletics Feature Jamaican Sprinter and Gold Medalist Usain Bolt
ESPN, the official broadcaster of the 2016 Rio Olympics in the Caribbean, continues its more than 200-hours presentation of the Games on TV with more than 12 hours of daily coverage on TV, simulcast on ESPN Play, and extensive news and information onESPNCaribbean.com.
This week’s top events in Athletics feature Jamaica’s star and fastest man alive, Usain Bolt, who is competing to defend his triple-triple victories (100m, 200m, and 4x100m) from Beijing 2008 and London 2012. Bolt already won gold in the 100m title after finishing in 9.81 seconds.
The “sprint king” continues his bid with the first rounds of the 200m and 4x100m beginning on Tuesday, August 16 at 10:50 a.m. ET and Thursday, August 18 at 10:40 a.m., respectively.
In addition to the athletic events, ESPN Caribbean will continue to present extensive coverage of those competitions featuring Caribbean athletes including taekwondo, triathlon, wrestling and diving, in addition to the most anticipated competitions of the week.
Live coverage of events are complemented by on-going studio coverage featuring recaps, previews and analysis from ESPN’s hosts Alexis Nunes and Isa Guha with commentators Jo Ankier, Grace Jackson, Felix Sanchez, Dwight Stones, Janelle Atkinson, Shaka Hislop, Bernardo Osuna and Dr. Ian Hypolite.
Programming Highlights (Eastern Times):
Schedule is subject to change
Tuesday, August 16
- Athletics: 9:30 a.m., 8:15 p.m.including men’s 100m hurdles final, women’s 200m semifinals men’s high jump final
- Artistic Gymnastics (M, W): 1:55 p.m.
- Diving (M): 5:55 p.m.
Wednesday, August 17
- Athletics: 8:30 a.m., 4:45 p.m.including men’s 200m semifinals, women’s 200m final, women’s 100m hurdles final
- Football (M): 11:50 a.m.semifinal #1 Brazil vs. Honduras
- Taekwondo (M, W): 2 p.m.
Thursday, August 18
- Athletics: 8:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., including women’s 800m semifinals, women’s 400m hurdles final men’s 200m Final
- Decathlon: competitions are throughout the day
- Triathlon (M): 10 a.m.
- Diving (W): 3:30 p.m.
Friday, August 19
- Wrestling & taekwondo (M, W): 9 a.m.
- Boxing (M, W): 1p.m.
- Football (W): 4:20 p.m.– women’s gold medal match
- Athletics: 7:10 p.m.including men’s 4 x 100m relay final
Saturday, August 20
- Triathlon (W): 9:50 a.m.
- Boxing (M, W): 1 p.m.
- Taekwondo: 2:30 p.m.
- Football (M): 4:20 p.m.– men’s gold medal match
- Athletics: 7:10 p.m.
Sunday, August 21
- Athletics (M): 8:20 a.m.– men’s marathon
- Cycling (M): 11:30 a.m.
- Basketball (M): 2:30 p.m.– men’s gold medal game