ESPNCRICINFO LAUNCHING IPAD APP
- World’s leading cricket website’s comprehensive coverage comes to tablets
- Highly personalised, provides companion experience for following cricket
- First iPad app launch from ESPN in the UK
ESPNcricinfo, the world’s leading multi-platform cricket service, has launched a free new iPad application to give fans access to its content wherever they are, complementing the experience of watching cricket matches on TV or in person.
The app, available to download now in time for the Super 8s stage of the World Twenty20 tournament, offers fans the depth and quality of cricket coverage that the ESPNcricinfo website and mobile app already provide, in a dynamic new interface that maximises the strength of the tablet device. Moreover, it brings this to fans in an entirely new format which allows them to personalise the service directly to their teams and preferences.
In the UK, the app joins ESPN’s range of mobile sporting content, including the ESPNF1, ESPNFC and ESPNcricinfo apps as well as ESPN Goals, the mobile app which brings UK fans exclusive video of goals from every Barclays Premier League match within just minutes of it taking place.
The iPad app will leverage ESPNcricinfo’s position as the world’s leading cricket news and information service:
- Locally relevant: The app detects the location from where users log on, providing content relevant to that region in key cricket markets.
- Integrated social experience: Features in-app interaction and sharing via a customised implementation of Facebook Chat, allowing fans to follow games with their friends as well as share cricket scores and news.
- Push notifications: Cricket fans can opt to get match updates and a range of other alerts delivered to their device screens.
- Integrated experience: Follow the game with ESPNcricinfo’s match updates, up to date match photographs, switch between live games and chat with your friends who are also following games.
- Best cricket content globally: The latest cricket news and features, as well as live scores, commentary, match stats, fixtures and results, tables, player profiles, photo galleries and match graphics.
- Ease of access: Features a “Full Screen” mode which delivers match scores on a full screen.
- Intuitive design: The app has been built around the principle that cricket fans need to access scores and news very quickly. The app features a simple, clear interface that allows fans to switch quickly between their interests.
- Offline reading function will be added in a subsequent release, which allows fans to save content for consumption at a later time.
“Mobile media and second screens are now an essential part of how fans stay connected to the sport they love,” said Arne Rees, vice president, digital media, ESPN International. “ESPNcricinfo is well established as the leading digital cricket service and this new app will bring the best of that straight to fans’ tablets – wherever they are. The ESPNcricinfo iPad app is another example of how we look to serve fans on multiple devices with the very best sporting content.”