Nine Live Hours November 6-7
The 2009 Breeders’ Cup World Championships on November 6-7 from Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., will receive nine hours of live coverage, including 2.5 hours on ABC. The 26th running of the Breeders’ Cup will feature 14 races over two days on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2.
The action will start on ESPN2 with Championship Friday, Nov. 6, from 3:30-7 p.m. ET with six Breeders’ Cup Championship races. On Saturday, Nov. 7, the racing action will continue with ABC airing the Championships from 1;30-3:30 p.m. ET and ESPN from 3:30-7 p.m ET.
ESPN360.com and ESPN Mobile will simulcast live the ESPN and ESPN2 telecasts.
Joe Tessitore will host the telecasts with analysts Jerry Bailey and Randy Moss. Kenny Mayne will work with handicapper Hank Goldberg. Jeannine Edwards, Jay Privman, and Caton Bredar (on horseback) will serve as reporters. Nick Luck is the European horse analyst and Tom Rinaldi will interview key personalities in the sport. Bill Nack and Rick Reilly will contribute essays and features, while Trevor Denman will call the races. Chris Connelly will provide celebrity interviews.
ESPN’s coverage of the Breeders’ Cup will use the latest technology, including 40 cameras:
- All in high definition
- Cameras on two cranes, a helicopter, a truck, inside the starting gate and in the stewards’ room
- Rail camera running above all the horses in the saddling barn
- X-Mo camera at the finish line
- Touch screen technology for handicapping the races
Features on The Breeders’ Cup telecasts will include:
- Jockey Kent Desormeaux’s year: After Big Brown lost Belmont Stakes and the Triple Crown, Kent is back, this time riding Summer Bird
- Jockey Corey Nakatani, whose grandparents were held at an internment camp at Santa Anita during WWII
- Hall of Fame Trainer Bob Baffert
- Rick Reilly learns to call a horse race
- The difference in how horses from the USA and Europe are trained
- Bill Nack’s vignettes on every horse in the Classic
Fri., Nov. 6 — ESPN2, 3:30- 7 p.m.
- Breeders’ Cup Marathon
- Breeders” Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf
- Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies
- Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf
- Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint
- Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic
Sat., Nov. 7 — ABC, 1-3:30 p.m.
- Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf
- Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint
- Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Sprint
Sat. Nov. 7- ESPN, 3:30-7 p.m.
- Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile
- TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile
- Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile
- Emirates Airlines Breeders’ Cup turf
- Breeders’ Cup Classic
- ESPN360.com: Simulcast of the ESPN and ESPN2 coverage on Friday and Saturday.
- SportsCenter: News and information during Breeders’ Cup Week.
- ESPN.com: Countdown Clock started on October 1 through Friday, November 6.
- ESPN Radio: News and Information coverage.
- First Take: News and Information coverage.
- Rome is Burning: Both Jim Rome’s radio and Rome is Burning programs will be on location at Santa Anita Friday, Nov. 6.
- ESPN Motion: Breeders’ Cup clips, including all Breeders’ Cup World Championship races.
- Mobile ESPN: Featured Breeders’ Cup section on ESPN’s Mobile Web.
- ESPN International: coverage in Pacific Rim (including Australia and New Zealand), Latin America, Caribbean, Atlantic (including Africa and the Middle East) networks and on TSN in Canada.
The Breeders’ Cup World Championships has announced that Race 2 on Friday November 6, will bear the name: Jimmy V “Don’t Give Up…Don’t Ever Give Up!”(R) in honor of The V Foundation for Cancer Research. CEO, Nick Valvano will be there to present the trophy to the winner of this race.