ESPN will add the discipline of SuperRally to its sports lineup this summer and has announced the first wave of invited athletes for the 16th annual action sports competition to be held in Los Angeles July 29 – Aug. 1, 2010. SuperRally will join the discipline of Rally Car Racing, already in its fifth year at X Games, on Saturday night of the four-day event at the Los Angeles Coliseum.
The new SuperRally event takes on the ever popular Euro-centric sport of Rallycross in a sprint style form of auto racing that features heats of four drivers racing wheel-to-wheel on a dirt track. The field will consist of 12 drivers who will complete a time trial session to determine the starting grid in the three, four-lap, Elimination heat races. The winner of the Elimination heats and the highest seeded driver who has not yet advanced will compete in a four-lap last chance qualifier (LCQ). The winner of the LCQ will join the winners of the Elimination heat races in the five-lap final race.
“SuperRally is a perfect fit for X Games and will bring all of the most extreme parts of motorsports into one event,” said three-time X Games Rally medalist Tanner Foust. “There’s door-to-door racing, sliding off road, jumps and the cars can do 0-60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds! These are some of the fastest production-based racecars on the planet, and the thought of ripping them around the iconic columns of the Los Angeles Coliseum is simply over the top — again, perfect for X Games.”
The full list of first wave athletes invited to compete at X Games 16 is available at www.xgames.com. *PLEASE NOTE: The invited athlete list and competition schedule is constantly being updated and is subject to change.
Among the first wave of invited athletes includes:
- Scotty Cranmer (BMX Freestyle Park) – Two-time X Games gold medalist and current defending BMX Freestyle Park gold medalist
- Marisa Dal Santo (Skateboard Street Women’s) – Four-time X Games medalist and current defending X Games Skateboard Street gold medalist
- Ashley Fiolek (Moto X Super X Women’s) – Defending Moto X Super X gold medalist and 2009 WMA Pro National Champion
- Pierre-Luc Gagnon (Skateboard Vert, Big Air, Big Air Rail Jam) – Five-time X Games gold medalist and the current two-time defending Skateboard Vert gold medalist
- Mike Metzger (Moto X Speed & Style) – Two-time X Games gold medalist and motocross freestyle legend
- Travis Pastrana (Rally Car Racing, SuperRally, Moto X Best Trick, Speed & Style) – Two-time Rally Car Racing gold medalist and seven-time Moto X gold medalist
- Garrett Reynolds (BMX Freestyle Street) – Two-time defending X Games BMX Freestyle Street gold medalist
- Kevin Robinson (BMX Freestyle Big Air, Vert) – Four-time X Games gold medalist and current defending BMX Freestyle Big Air gold medalist
- Ryan Sheckler (Skateboard Street, Park) – Two-time X Games Skateboard Street gold medalist
Tickets for X Games 16 will be available for purchase June 24 at all Ticketmaster locations and the box offices at STAPLES Center and NOKIA Theatre.
For X Games media information, including press releases, logos and additional images from past events, log on to www.espneventmedia.com. For general information and updated athlete lists, log on to www.xgames.com. Follow the X Games on Twitter at Twitter.com/espnxgames.
ESPN X Games – Danny Chi at 310-642-1509 or [email protected]
ESPN X Games – Katie Moses Swope at 310-642-1507 or [email protected]