New Issue of ESPN The Magazine Takes Fans on a Trip: Vince Young on the Cover
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/aQYUDj
It’s no secret that pro athletes spend nearly as much time on the road as they do at home, and in the new issue of ESPN The Magazine travel for athletes and their fans is explored. The average NFL team travels 16,025 miles per season, but that doesn’t stop them from getting away in the post. In “R&R,” a cover story by writer Carmen Renee Thompson, The Magazine catches up with QB Vince Young, while on a much-deserved trip to Turks and Caicos, to discuss his unexpected 8-2 run last season, what motivated him to that end and his goals for the season to come.
Cover | Video
“What happens on a road trip, stays on the road trip” … unless of course you are a pro sharing some of your most memorable moments with The Mag. In “Post Cards from the Edge” there’s nothing dull about being on the road—with stories from rookie hazing in Times Square to partying with groupies to luggage trauma to sleeping bus drivers.
Ever wonder what’s in your favorite athlete’s carryon bag? Well, in “Candles, Candy, Bibles, Condoms,” jocks reveal their must-haves for travel, from Surfer Jamie Sterling’s two dozen condoms per trip to Suns center Channing Frye’s Bible.
And for sports fans from all walks of life “Cool Places To Go, Dead People To See” is the ultimate travel guide featuring 33 must-visit places across the country ranging from monumental to just plain wacky:
- Pinball Hall of Fame—Las Vegas
- Calaveras County Fair’s annual frog jumping contest—Angels Camp, Calif.
- The famous Field of Dreams—Dyersville, Iowa
- International Bowling Museum and HOF—Arlington, Texas
- Funspot’s 500+ video games and the American Classic Arcade Museum—Laconia, N.H.
- American Water Ski Education Foundation Museum & HOF—Polk City, Fla.
The new issue is on newsstands today.
Also in The Travel Issue:
On To The Next One (NASCAR)
For Joe Gibbs Racing, most of the driving occurs on highways, not speedways. We tailed Gibbs’ NASCAR teams from Talladega to Richmond for a look at the roads to the races. By Ryan McGee
Meet Me In St. Maarten (MLB)
High times on the high seas—the Cards and their fans have been cruising since 1986. By Shaun Assael – Link
“Let Them Know We’re Here” (Soccer)
Will U.S. soccer fans hold their own in the frenzied stands of South Africa? A traveling band of Yankee rabble-rousers are already making noise. By Tim Struby – Link
To find the world’s dumbest athletic competition, one author traveled all over the planet. His search heated up in Finland. By Rick Reilly – Link
Pro athletes on vacation – Video:
- David Anderson Travels To The Czech Republic
- Greg Camarillo Travels To Paris And Venice
- Josh Freeman And Teammates Travel To The Bahamas
- Adrian Peterson Travels to Africa
- Terence Newman Travels To Australia
- Rey Maualuga Travels To Samoa
- Patrick Willis Carries Candy
- Bobby Ryan and Joffrey Lupul Carry Guitars
– 30 –