Garza No-Hitter on Monday Night Baseball
Tampa Bay starting pitcher Matt Garza tossed a no-hitter on ESPN’s Monday Night Baseball July 26. Garza was one base runner (a walk issued in the second inning) from perfection. Dan Shulman provided play-by-play with analysts Aaron Boone and Chris Singleton.
Diamond Track Technology on Sunday Night Baseball
ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast featuring the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals (July 25) included the use of Diamond Track to measure defensive performance. Diamond Track, which debuted on SNB July 18, can determine a fielder’s speed chasing down a ball, the speed of the release and throw, and the amount of time the base runner takes on the base paths. The telecast also included the use of ESPN Axis technology, providing a broader view of the action when Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro threw out St. Louis’ Ryan Ludwick at home.
ESPN Trade Deadline Coverage
Baseball Tonight will offer trade deadline coverage with shows generally at midnight ET (9 p.m. PST), including trade deadline Saturday, July 31. Baseball Tonight analysts will also appear on ESPN sports and information shows throughout the week, including consistent segments on ESPNEWS daily at 5:10 p.m. and 5:40 p.m. ESPN analysts Tim Kurkjian, Buster Olney, J.P. Ricciardi and Eduardo Perez will appear on ESPN studio shows July 31.
Additionally, ESPN.com’s comprehensive coverage will include:
- Rumor Central content capturing the most recent trade buzz;
- “Trade Deadline Live,” a discussion page including an aggregated Twitter feed and contributions from ESPN baseball reporters;
- a countdown clock at the top of the MLB page with links to the latest trade deadline news;
- video including the Baseball Tonight Minute, SportsCenter baseball discussion and Buster Olney’s video blog;
- ESPN Insider content featuring Olney’s daily blog and Keith Law’s post-trade analysis;
- analysis of each deal’s fantasy impact;
- Jayson Stark’s “Rumblings and Grumblings” and post-trade deadline winners and losers;
- ESPN Radio podcasts;
- a Trade Scorecard page with breakdowns of each major deal.