Third Annual College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon Nov. 16; 900+ Games on ESPN3.com and more than 250 on ESPNU; Expanded College GameDay; Special Events; Franchise Programming; & More
The 2010-11 ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, ESPN3.com, ESPN Mobile TV, ESPN Regional Television and ESPN FULL COURT men’s college basketball schedule is comprised of a network record of approximately 1,200 games beginning Monday, Nov. 8. Highlights include:
- The third annual College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon celebrating the start of the season with 12 live games in 24 hours on ESPN on Tuesday, Nov. 16. ESPN games are scheduled to tip off every two hours beginning at 12 a.m. ET (9 p.m. PT Nov. 15) with Miami at Memphis. It will mark the second time ESPN has televised live college basketball games at 6 a.m. (Stony Brook at Monmouth) or 8 a.m. (Robert Morris at Kent State);
- More than 900 games on ESPN3.com, including approximately 50 original productions, a record for the broadband platform, and simulcasts of every ESPN and ESPN2 telecast and ESPN FULL COURT pay-per-view game. ESPN Mobile TV will simulcast approximately 200 contests;
- The morning edition of College GameDay Driven by State Farm – originating from the site of ESPN’s Saturday Primetime Presented by DIRECTV telecast — will expand to include an extra hour on ESPNU and now begin at 10 a.m. continuing on ESPN at 11 a.m. ESPN will continue to televise a one-hour show at 8 p.m.;
- A record 250 games on ESPNU;
- In a four-day span (Dec.1-4), ESPN will televise defending NCAA National Champion Duke against both Butler, a rematch of last year’s NCAA Tournament championship (Saturday, Dec. 4, at 3:15 p.m.), and Michigan State (Wednesday, Dec. 1, at 9:30 p.m.), a 2010 NCAA Tournament semifinal participant.
- The second year of Conference Tip-Off Jan. 11-17, highlighting the launch of ESPN’s regular weekday and Saturday conference coverage with more than 40 games, featuring the first quadruple header of men’s college basketball conference games Jan. 17 to mark Martin Luther King Day on ESPN.
- The Don Meyer Classic pitting Northern State at Belmont on Nov. 9 in recognition of Meyer, the all-time NCAA wins leader in men’s basketball and former Northern State head coach, and four games of the expanded Cancun Governor’s Cup from Cancun, Mexico in December.
ESPNU and ESPN3.com will combine to open the season with three games Monday, Nov. 8. ESPNU’s sixth consecutive year offering the first nationally televised games will feature a doubleheader from the 2K Sports Classic Benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer: Rhode Island at Pittsburgh at 7 p.m. followed by Navy at Texas at 9 p.m. ESPN3.com will present coverage of UC Irvine at Illinois at 8 p.m. (also from the 2K Sports Classic Benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer).
Returning franchise programming will include Feast Week Presented by Lowe’s, Holiday Hoops Presented by Kay Jewelers, Conference Tip-Off, Rivalry Week Presented by Cisco, BracketBusters, Judgment Week and Championship Week Presented by DICK’S Sporting Goods. Special tournaments and events will include the DIRECTV SEC/BIG EAST Invitational, Puerto Rico Tip-Off, 76 Classic, Old Spice Classic, 2K Sports Classic Benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer, EA Sports Maui Invitational, ACC/Big Ten Challenge Presented by DICK’S Sporting Goods, Jimmy V Classic, Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series, DICK’S Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off, O’Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic, Charleston Classic, Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic, Cancun Governor’s Cup, Lane Furniture All-College Classic, The Showcase, Las Vegas Invitational and NIT.
ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU Day-by-Day Lineup
ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU will combine to offer top games throughout the season, including many in regular weekday time slots and every Saturday beginning Tuesday, Jan. 11, highlighted by (conference assignments can vary):
- Monday: ESPN’s weekly Big Monday doubleheader will feature the BIG EAST and Big 12 at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m., respectively;
- Tuesday: Super Tuesday Presented by KFC will highlight an ESPN Big Ten and SEC doubleheader as well as a weekly ESPN2 prime-time matchup featuring the ACC, Big 12 or BIG EAST. Tuesday will also include a doubleheader on ESPNU at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. showcasing the SEC along with other conferences;
- Wednesday: Wednesday Night Hoops Presented by Reese’s will feature Big 12, ACC and Big East games on ESPN or ESPN2, and a consistent WAC telecast on ESPN2. A Wednesday ESPNU doubleheader at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. will feature action from the BIG EAST, ACC, Big 12 and SEC;
- Thursday: The Thursday Night Showcase Presented by T. Rowe Price will include the second season of a weekly SEC game joining the Big Ten telecast, as well as games from the ACC, BIG EAST and Pac-10 on ESPN or ESPN2 at 7 p.m. or 9 p.m. In addition, ESPN2 and ESPNU will offer a consistent West Coast Conference games;
- Saturdays: Afternoon and evening games across ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU from top conferences including ACC, BIG EAST, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, Atlantic 10, Conference USA and more. Saturday Primetime Presented by DIRECTV, a 9 p.m. game of the week on ESPN, will return for a seventh season.
College GameDay and Saturday Primetime
ESPN’s College GameDay Driven by State Farm, the popular eight-week Saturday morning and evening college basketball program originating from the site of ESPN’s Saturday Primetime Presented by DIRECTV telecast, will expand to include an extra hour of analysis, news and features. ESPNU will air the new first hour of College GameDay – returning for its seventh season beginning Saturday, Jan. 15 – at 10 a.m. ET and ESPN will continue to televise the show at 11 a.m. and a one-hour edition at 8 p.m. (except Jan. 15 when the show will air on ESPN at 10 a.m. and ESPNU at 11 a.m.). The Saturday Primetime game-of-the-week series will be aired at 9 p.m. (except for Jan. 15 and Jan. 29).
|Date||Site||Show Times||Game||Game Time|
|Jan 15||Knoxville, Tenn.||10 a.m. & 7 p.m. *||Vanderbilt at Tennessee (men’s game)||noon|
|Vanderbilt at Tennessee (women’s game)||8 p.m.|
|Jan 22||West Lafayette, Ind.||10 a.m. & 8 p.m.||Michigan State at Purdue||9 p.m.|
|Jan 29||Lawrence, Kan.||10 a.m. & 6 p.m.||Kansas State at Kansas||7 p.m.|
|Feb 5||Gainesville, Fla.||10 a.m. & 8 p.m.||Kentucky at Florida||9 p.m.|
|Feb 12||Villanova, Pa.||10 a.m. & 8 p.m.||Pittsburgh at Villanova||9 p.m.|
|Feb 19||Lansing, Mich.||10 a.m. & 8 p.m.||Illinois at Michigan State||9 p.m.|
|Feb 26||Blacksburg, Va.||10 a.m. & 8 p.m.||Duke at Virginia Tech||9 p.m.|
|Mar 5||Waco, Texas||10 a.m. & 8 p.m.||Texas at Baylor||9 p.m.|
* ESPNU will televise the first hour of College GameDay with ESPN continuing coverage at 11 a.m. except Jan. 15 when ESPN will televise the first hour and ESPNU continuing coverage at 11 a.m. ESPN will televise the evening edition each week.
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com Game Highlights for 2010-11
A Sampling of Top Inter-Conference Showdowns
|Tue, Nov 16||6 p.m.||Ohio State at Florida||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Tue, Nov 16||8 p.m.||Butler at Louisville||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Mon, Nov 22||9:30 p.m.||Kansas State vs. Gonzaga (Kansas City)||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Tue, Nov 30||9 p.m.||Georgetown vs. Missouri (Kansas City)||ESPNU|
|9:30 p.m.||ACC/Big Ten Challenge: North Carolina at Illinois||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Wed, Dec 1||9:30 p.m.||ACC/Big Ten Challenge: Michigan State at Duke||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Dec 4||3:15 p.m.||Butler vs. Duke (East Rutherford, N.J.)||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Dec 4||5:15 p.m.||Illinois vs. Gonzaga (Seattle)||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Wed, Dec 8||9 p.m.||Vanderbilt at Missouri||ESPNU|
|Thu, Dec 9||9 p.m.||Butler at Xavier||ESPN or ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Dec 11||5:15 p.m.||Indiana at Kentucky||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Dec 18||4:30 p.m.||The Showcase: Gonzaga vs. Baylor (Dallas)||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Wed, Dec 22||7 p.m.||Texas at Michigan State||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Wed, Jan 5||9 p.m.||Memphis at Tennessee||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Jan 8||3:30 p.m.||Connecticut at Texas||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Wed, Feb 23||7 p.m.||Temple at Duke||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
A Sampling of Top Intra-Conference Showdowns
|Sat, Jan 8||3 p.m.||Florida State at Virginia Tech||ACC||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Mon, Jan 17||7:30 p.m.||Syracuse at Pittsburgh||BIG EAST||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|9:30 p.m.||Kansas at Baylor||Big 12||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Jan 22||Noon||Villanova at Syracuse||BIG EAST||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|9 p.m.||Michigan State at Purdue||Big Ten||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Tue, Jan 25||9 p.m.||Purdue at Ohio State||Big Ten||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Thu, Jan 27||11 p.m.||St. Mary’s (Calif.) at Gonzaga||West Coast||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Jan 29||Noon||Xavier at Richmond||Atlantic 10||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|9 p.m.||Missouri at Texas||Big 12||ESPNU|
|Mon, Jan. 31||7 p.m.||Louisville at Georgetown||BIG EAST||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Feb 5||5 p.m.||Central Michigan at Kent State||Mid-American||ESPNU|
|9 p.m.||Kentucky at Florida||SEC||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Tue, Feb 8||9 p.m.||Tennessee at Kentucky||SEC||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Wed, Feb 9||9 p.m.||North Carolina at Duke ^||ACC||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Feb 12||1 p.m.||Temple at Dayton||Atlantic 10||ESPNU|
|8 p.m.||Detroit at Butler||Horizon||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|9 p.m.||Pittsburgh at Villanova (at the Pavilion)||BIG EAST||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|10 p.m.||Wichita State at Northern Iowa||Missouri Valley||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|Mon, Feb 14||9 p.m.||Kansas at Kansas State||Big 12||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Tue, Feb 15||7 p.m.||George Mason at Virginia Commonwealth||Colonial||ESPNU|
|9 p.m.||Michigan State at Ohio State||Big Ten||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Wed, Feb 16||7 p.m.||Vanderbilt at Georgia||SEC||ESPNU|
|Sat, Feb 19||6 p.m.||Washington at Arizona||Pac-10||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
|Sat, Feb 26||3 p.m.||Memphis at UTEP||Conference USA||ESPN2 / ESPN3.com|
|9 p.m.||Duke at Virginia Tech||ACC||ESPN/ ESPN3.com|
|Mon, Feb 28||9 p.m.||Kansas State at Texas||Big 12||ESPN / ESPN3.com|
^ Blacked out in ACC markets
2K Sports Classic Benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer – ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 8-19
ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com will combine to televise 11 games of the 12-team event, each from a different conference, competing at four regional sites with each regional host — Pittsburgh, Maryland, Texas and Illinois – automatically advancing to the championship rounds at Madison Square Garden in New York (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN2’s coverage).
Don Meyer Classic – ESPNU, Nov. 9
ESPNU will televise the game pitting Northern State at Belmont Tuesday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. The event recognizes Don Meyer, the all-time wins leader in men’s basketball, who has inoperable carcinoid cancer and is the former Northern State head coach.
O’Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic –ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 12-23
ESPN2 and ESPNU will combine to televise 10 games of the event with 12 teams competing at four regional sites (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN2’s coverage) with the regional hosts (Duke, Kansas State, Gonzaga and Marquette) automatically advancing to the Championship Rounds in Kansas City. The remaining teams will advance to play a round-robin series at one of two other sites.
DICK’S Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 16-26
The networks will combine to present 10 telecasts of the early-season tournament, including the semifinals and championship from Madison Square Garden in New York City (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN and ESPN2’s coverage). Participating teams: Villanova, Wake Forest, UCLA and Tennessee.
Puerto Rico Tip-Off – ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 18-21
ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com will televise all 12 games of the fourth annual event from San Juan, Puerto Rico (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN2’s coverage). Participating teams: North Carolina, West Virginia, Minnesota, Davidson, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, Western Kentucky and Hofstra.
Charleston Classic – ESPNU, Nov. 18-21
ESPNU will televise four games of the third annual event from Charleston, S.C. including the semifinals and championship. Participating teams: Georgetown, North Carolina State, Charlotte and George Mason.
EA SPORTS Maui Invitational – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 22-24
ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU will televise all 12 games for a sixth straight year (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN and ESPN2’s coverage). Host Chaminade will be joined by Kentucky, Michigan State, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington and Wichita State.
76 Classic – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 25-28
The networks will combine to televise all 12 games of the fourth annual event from Anaheim, Calif. (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN and ESPN2’s coverage). Participating teams: Stanford, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, DePaul, Cal-State Northridge, UNLV, Tulsa and Murray State.
Old Spice Classic – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 25-28
The networks will combine to televise all 12 games of the fifth annual event from Orlando, Fla. (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN and ESPN2’s coverage). Participating teams include Wisconsin, Boston College, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Temple, California, Manhattan and Georgia.
Las Vegas Invitational – ESPN or ESPN2, ESPN3.com, Nov. 27
ESPN or ESPN2 will televise one game from the Las Vegas Invitational, pitting Arizona vs. Kansas from Orleans Arena on Nov. 27. ESPN3.com will simulcast ESPN or ESPN2’s coverage.
ACC/Big Ten Challenge Presented by DICK’S Sporting Goods– ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Nov. 29-Dec. 1
ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU will combine to televise all 11 games of the 12th annual ACC/Big Ten Challenge (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN and ESPN2’s coverage) highlighted by Michigan State at Duke on Dec. 1. It will mark the ninth consecutive year every game of the event between the two conferences playing for the Commissioner’s Cup will be televised.
Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series – ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Dec. 2-21
ESPN2 (with simulcasts on ESPN3.com) will televise three matchups and ESPNU two of the annual event between two top conferences, highlighted by UCLA at Kansas on Dec. 2.
Jimmy V Classic – ESPN and ESPN3.com, Dec. 7
The 16th annual Jimmy V Classic will showcase four elite programs in an ESPN doubleheader December 7 (simulcast on ESPN3.com). For the seventh consecutive year, New York City’s Madison Square Garden will host the two-game, college basketball showcase: Memphis vs. Kansas at 7 p.m. followed by Michigan State vs. Syracuse at 9 p.m. A portion of the proceeds from the event benefits The V Foundation for Cancer Research.
DIRECTV SEC/BIG EAST Invitational – ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3.com, Dec. 8 and 11
ESPN and ESPN2 will televise all four matchups of the fourth annual event between two premier conferences from two neutral sites, highlighted by Notre Dame vs. Kentucky from Freedom Hall in Louisville on Dec. 8 and Tennessee vs. Pittsburgh from Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh Dec. 11. ESPN3.com will simulcast all four telecasts.
The Showcase – ESPN2 and ESPN3.com, Dec. 18
ESPN2 will televise both games of The Showcase (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN2’s coverage) from American Airlines Center in Dallas on Dec. 18. Match-ups: Arkansas vs. Texas A&M and Gonzaga vs. Baylor.
Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic – ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Dec. 22-25
ESPN2 and ESPNU will televise 10 games of the second annual event from Honolulu (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN2’s coverage). Participating teams include Hawaii, Butler, Florida State, Utah, Baylor, Mississippi State, Washington State and San Diego.
Cancun Governor’s Cup– ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com, Dec. 22-24
ESPN2 and ESPNU will televise four games of the expanded event from Cancun, Mexico (ESPN3.com will also simulcast ESPN2’s coverage). Participating teams include Mississippi, St. Louis and Southern Miss.
NIT – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com will combine to feature extensive coverage of the NIT. Dates and networks to be determined.
Franchise Programming (ESPN3.com will simulcast every ESPN and ESPN2 telecast)
College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon – Nov. 16
- Creative way to mark the opening of the season with 24 consecutive hours of college basketball game action on ESPN Nov. 16 beginning at midnight (simulcasts on ESPN3.com and ESPN Mobile).
- Twenty-one games – 20 men’s and one women’s – within approximately 25-and-a-half hours across ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3.com.
Feast Week Presented by Lowe’s – Nov. 22-28
- Matchups surrounding Thanksgiving include the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational, NIT Season Tip-Off, Old Spice Classic, 76 Classic, O’Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic and more.
Holiday Hoops Presented by Kay Jewelers – Dec. 18-24
- Seventh annual week highlighted by non-conference matchups, including the second annual Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic. Other games: USC at Kansas (Dec. 18, ESPN), Gonzaga vs Baylor (Dec. 18, ESPN2), Stanford at Oklahoma State (Dec. 18, ESPNU), Texas at Michigan State (Dec. 22, ESPN2) and Georgetown at Memphis (Dec. 23, ESPN2).
Conference Tip-Off – Jan. 11-17
- Second season highlighting the first week of ESPN’s regular weekday and Saturday conference action, including Big Monday, Super Tuesday, Wednesday Night Hoops, Thursday Night Showcase and Saturday Primetime with 41 games, highlighted by a college basketball quadruple header to celebrate Martin Luther King Day on Jan. 17. Game highlights for the week include: Florida at Tennessee (Jan. 11, ESPN), Duke at Florida State (Jan. 12, ESPN), Syracuse at St. John’s (Jan. 12, ESPNU) and Kansas at Baylor (Jan. 17, ESPN).
Rivalry Week Presented by Cisco – Feb. 7-14
- Fifteenth year includes 47 games, highlighted by conference rivalries: Pittsburgh at West Virginia (Feb. 7, ESPN), Missouri at Kansas (Feb. 7, ESPN), Tennessee at Kentucky (Feb. 8, ESPN), North Carolina at Duke (Feb. 9, ESPN), Texas at Oklahoma (Feb. 9, ESPN2), Wright State at Butler (Feb. 10, ESPNU), Southern Illinois at Creighton (Feb. 13, ESPNU) and Kansas at Kansas State (Feb. 14, ESPN).
BracketBusters – Feb. 18-20
- Ninth annual three-day extravaganza pitting NCAA tournament hopefuls against each other; 11 games selected from a pool of 114 teams, the largest in the event’s history.
Judgment Week – Feb. 21-27
- Pivotal week in the stretch run for conference supremacy: 41 games, including Syracuse at Villanova (Feb. 21, ESPN), Mississippi at South Carolina (Feb. 22, ESPNU), Gonzaga at St. Mary’s (Feb. 24, ESPN2), Kansas at Oklahoma (Feb. 26, ESPN), Duke at Virginia Tech (Feb. 26, ESPN), Texas A&M at Baylor (Feb. 26, ESPNU) and Xavier at Dayton (Feb. 27, ESPN or ESPN2).
Championship Week Presented by DICK’S Sporting Goods – March 3-13
- Twenty-sixth season of wall-to-wall conference tournament action – 66 Division I men’s games from 25 conferences, including 24 championship games.
Other Game Coverage – ESPN, Inc.
ESPN Regional Television
ESPN Regional Television, the nation’s largest producer and distributor of collegiate sports programming, will present regional telecasts of more than 200 men’s basketball games from top conferences, including the SEC, BIG EAST, Big 12, WAC, Colonial, America East and Metro Atlantic (MAAC).
In addition, ESPN Regional Television operates the 76 Classic, Old Spice Classic, Puerto Rico Tip-Off, Charleston Classic, Lane Furniture All-College Classic, DIRECTV SEC/BIG EAST Invitational, Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic, BracketBusters and the Cancun Governor’s Cup. For more information, visit http://espnplus.com.
ESPN FULL COURT
The 2010-11 ESPN FULL COURT men’s college basketball pay-per-view package will offer more than 400 out-of-market games (up to 30 games per week) from top conferences, including the SEC, ACC, BIG EAST, Big 12, WAC and more. All ESPN FULL COURT games will also be available on ESPN3.com.