Louisville and Minnesota will face off in the third installment of the Armed Forces Classic – this year from United States Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico on Friday, Nov. 14. Coverage of the showdown between Louisville coach Rick Pitino and his son, Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino, begins at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN. The Armed Forces Classic is the centerpiece of ESPN’s sixth annual America’s Heroes – a five-day initiative that honors veterans and troops in programming across the company’s U.S. media platforms from Saturday, Nov. 8 through Friday, Nov. 14.
The game will be played in the Coast Guard hangar at the East end of Rafael Hernandez International Airport, which houses their four MH-65 helicopters. The Air Station is located on the northwest tip of Puerto Rico, approximately 80 miles from San Juan.
Also, a special matinée game from the Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen will feature the U.S. Coast Guard Academy playing Hampden-Sydney at 1 p.m. on ESPNU.
Louisville enters this season ranked No. 8 nationally and earned a third place spot in the ACC Operation Basketball 2014-15 Preseason Poll behind 14-year head coach Rick Pitino. The Cardinals are led by 2014-15 Preseason All-American and All-ACC Team selection Montrezl Harrell. Louisville returns two starters and eight lettermen from its successful 2013-14 squad which reached the NCAA Sweet 16 with a 31-6 record.
Defending NIT Champion, Minnesota returns four starters, including All-Big Ten selections Andre Hollins and Deandre Mathieu. In his first season as head coach, Richard Pitino guided Minnesota to wins in seven of its final eight games in 2013-14, and marked the third straight season with at least 21 wins.
The game tips off the start of the 2014-15 college basketball season across ESPN platforms.
Game & Studio Coverage
- Play-by-play veteran Dan Shulman will have the call of the Louisville-Minnesota game with analyst Jay Bilas and on-court reporter Andy Katz.
- Pregame, half and postgame coverage will be hosted by anchor Kevin Connors and analyst Jay Williams live onsite.
- Coaches’ interviews will be played pregame, as well as coverage of the father/son angles including a feature, photos through the years, sound of Rick talking about the development of his son and “wired” sound from Richard’s practice.
- In addition, Connors, Williams and Katz will call the earlier game from base.
Additional Content & Vignettes
History of Air Station Borinquen and Ramey base Feature: The history of Aguadilla’s military installation is explored.
- Search and Rescue Training Feature: The coast guard shows you what it’s like to be in a search and rescue mission.
- Shallow water Egress training (SWET): Coast guard flight crews simulate an escape from a helicopter that has crashed at sea and is inverted.
- Re-enlistment Vignette: Coast guard gave ESPN access to film the private ceremony of reenlisting in the service.
The Armed Forces Classic – a series of Division I men’s college basketball games – that are played on United States military bases worldwide over a five-year rotation.
Armed Forces Classic History
Nov. 14, 2014: Takes place from the United States Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen in Puerto Rico and features No. 8 Louisville vs. Minnesota.
Nov. 8, 2013: Then-No. 19 Oregon topped Georgetown 82-75 from United States Army Garrison Humphreys in Pyeongtaek, South Korea.
Nov. 9, 2012: Unranked Connecticut upset then-No. 14 Michigan State 66-62 from inside a C-5 transport airplane hangar on Ramstein Air Base in Germany.
The Armed Forces Classic is owned and operated by ESPN Events, a subsidiary of ESPN.