Major League Soccer’s Top Stars on Display Sunday, 3 p.m. ET: Giovani dos Santos, Andrea Pirlo, Steven Gerrard, David Villa, Frank Lampard and reigning MLS MVP Robbie Keane;
Conversation with dos Santos to be featured on ESPN FC, SportsCenter and more
Downloadable ESPN Images: http://bit.ly/1K6AEst
ESPN and ESPN Deportes will present the marquee matchup of the Major League Soccer season Sunday, Aug. 23, at 3 p.m. ET when the LA Galaxy host New York City FC. With the maximum three “Designated Players” on each roster – Los Angeles’ Giovani dos Santos, Steven Gerrard and Robbie Keane, vs. New York’s Andrea Pirlo, Frank Lampard and David Villa – it represents the biggest collection of stars in a single match. The six players have a combined 57 FIFA World Cup appearances, 17 goals and two FIFA World Cup titles. (The MLS Designated Player rule allows clubs to acquire up to three star players with salaries that exceed the maximum charge for one player.)
Additionally, four players in this game have combined for five UEFA Champions League titles — Pirlo (AC Milan, 2002-03, 2006-07), Gerrard (Liverpool, 2004-2005), Villa (Barcelona, 2010-11), Lampard (Chelsea, 2011-12).
ESPN’s lead-up and match day coverage will feature more than 11 commentators and reporters across its media platforms, the largest assemblage of ESPN commentators on a regular-season MLS match.
Mexican National Team star Giovani dos Santos will discuss his recent transition to the Galaxy in a one-on-one interview with Andrea Canales, ESPN FC’s Liga MX and Mexican National Team reporter. The interview will air on several programs including SportsCenter, ESPN FC TV and digital hub.
ESPN Deportes will present special game-around-the-game coverage with live editions of ESPN Futbol Center, SportsCenter and Futbol Picante, plus a special ESPN Futbol Center post-game show – all originating from the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. Richard Mendez (play-by-play) and Giovanni Savarese (analysis) will call the action on ESPN Deportes with sideline reporter Alejandro de la Rosa. The studio coverage will be led by former soccer stars Jared Borgetti — Mexican National Team’s leading goal-scorer with 46 in 89 appearances, Luis Roberto Alves “Zague” and Rafael Puente del Rio alongside, David Faitelson, Mauricio Pedroza, and de la Rosa.
|Sun, Aug 23||12 p.m.||ESPN Futbol Center||ESPN Deportes|
|1 p.m.||SportsCenter Special (ESPN Deportes)||ESPN Deportes|
|2 p.m.||Futbol Picante||ESPN Deportes|
|3 p.m.||LA Galaxy vs. New York City FC||ESPN / ESPN Deportes TV /ESPN Deportes Radio|
|5 p.m.||ESPN Futbol Center – Post-game Special||ESPN Deportes|
- Healey and Twellman will preview the match on multiple SportsCenter editions Saturday, Aug. 22, as well as on Sunday morning (Aug. 23, at 10 a.m.).
ESPN FC on TV
- The nation’s only daily soccer news and information television program (weekdays, ESPNEWS at 6 p.m.) will preview the match with a marquee guest (TBD) and excerpts of the dos Santos interview on Friday. Dan Thomas will host with Healey reporting from the StubHub Center;
- On Sunday night August 23, the one-hour edition of ESPN FC (ESPN2, 12 a.m. ET overnight) will include extensive post-game analysis with Healey and Twellman from site. Thomas will be joined in studio by analysts Steve Nicol, Alejandro Moreno and Shaka Hislop.
- Reporter Jeff Carlisle will be in Carson from Friday through Sunday, Aug. 21-23, filing daily features, and a look at Los Angeles Galaxy’s attempt to retain the MLS Cup it won last season;
- Doug McIntyre will preview the matchup, focusing mostly on the dominant storylines for New York City FC this far into their first season in Major League Soccer;
- On game day, ESPNFC.com will stream the match coverage and feature post-game reaction from Carlisle;
- ESPN FC’s social media editor Lauren Giuduce will post key images leading up to, during and after the game.