- MNF is No. 1 Show Again as ESPN Wins the Night for 10th Straight Monday
- Second Best Year-Over-Year Increase of the Season for MNF
Last night’s Monday Night Football game (8:15-11:30 p.m. ET) – a dramatic New York Giants’ 27-23 come-from-behind road victory over the San Francisco 49ers – averaged 10.6 million viewers across ESPN and ESPN Deportes, according to Nielsen. This is an increase of 20 percent vs. last year’s Dolphins-Panthers week 10 game, which averaged 8.9 million viewers across the two ESPN networks.
The year-over-year 20 percent increase for Giants-49ers is the second best audience gain of the 2018 Monday Night Football season – behind the 40 percent increase for the 49ers-Packers game in week six.
ESPN won the night again among all networks, broadcast or cable, in households, viewers and all key male and adult demos (18-34, 18-49, 25-54). Giants-49ers also helped ESPN become the most-watched network (broadcast or cable) in prime time among those same categories. Through 10 weeks of the NFL season (11 games), MNF has helped ESPN win the night all 10 Mondays.
Through 11 games, Monday Night Football is averaging 11.4 million viewers, up 4 percent from last year’s average among total viewers (11.0 million) – and up five percent from last year’s full season average (10.8 million).
- On ESPN, Giants-49ers averaged a 6.3 US household rating and 10.5 million viewers – an increase of 20 percent compared to 8.8 million viewers in week 10 last year. The telecast peaked from 11-11:15 p.m. ET with a 7.3 US household rating and 11.9 million viewers.
- On ESPN Deportes’ Spanish-language simulcast, Giants-49ers averaged an additional 113,000 viewers.
- In New York, the game delivered a 6.8 rating on ESPN and a 4.8 rating on WPIX-CW, for a combined 11.6 rating in the market.
- In San Francisco, the game delivered a 6.7 rating on ESPN and an 11.9 on KGO-ABC, for a combined 18.6 rating in the market.
Top 10 markets:
The top 10 metered markets (not including those of the competing teams): New Orleans (14.7), Sacramento (13.8), Norfolk, Va. (11.5), Richmond-Petersburg (10.2), Seattle-Tacoma (10.0), Albuquerque-Santa Fe (9.8), Phoenix (9.7), Washington, DC (9.6), Hartford-New Haven (9.4) and Columbus, Ohio (9.1).
Postgame SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt – Up 19 Percent
Last night’s postgame edition of SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt averaged 2,923,000 viewers, an increase of 19 percent vs. last year’s comparable show following the Dolphins-Titans game (2,466,000).
Week 11 on ESPN’s MNF:
Rookie sensation Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs visit the Los Angeles Rams, led by quarterback Jared Goff, in a matchup of the top teams in the AFC and NFC, respectively. Originally scheduled for Mexico City’s Estadio Azteca, the game will now be played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.