Full coverage content on XGames.com; Mobile product launches including the new X Games SnoCross game app; Dedicated Winter X Games multimedia store on iTunes
The world of action sports will come together next week for Winter X Games 14, and ESPN Digital Media will be there to share the experience through several new interactive product launches and services online and on mobile. Fans can log on now to XGames.com for the latest news, event info, athlete bios and more. Also available beginning today is the new X Games SnoCross mobile game app featuring avatars of X Games medalists Levi LaVallee and Heath Frisby. On Monday, action sports fans looking for more multimedia content – including video, films, music, podcasts, apps and more – will be able to find it all in one place when the iTunes Winter X Games landing page launches.
From now through the four-day series live from Aspen (Jan. 28-31) and concluding with post-event coverage, XGames.com brings online readers the latest on WX14. Previews of the relevant names and stories leading up to the event, breaking news and info, detailed service information, schedules, invited riders and info for spectators and visitors to Aspen are available now.
Profiles also feature star athletes like Shaun White and snowmobiling’s LeVallee. Video content includes footage of the famed double cork, the best female snowboarder the IOC’s never heard of and the heroes of adaptive winter sports. Additional content available now and upcoming include:
- Countdown to X blog with contributors Alisa Mokler, Eric Skogman, Lynn Keillor Michell Hurni, Nicole Dreon and Vince Castellanos;
- Twitter feeds from some of the biggest names in the game plus updates from @ESPNXGAMES;
- Writing and commentary by Page 2’s Mary Buckheit, The New York Times‘ Matt Higgins and ESPN.com’s John Symms.
- Live video, blogs, results and athlete chats each day;
- Photos featured in the site’s sleek Winter X Games branded slideshow;
- Video highlights hub.
Mobile & Games
For a Winter X Games experience through the convenience of a mobile device, the new X Games SnoCross mobile game app for iPhone and iPod Touch devices — developed in conjunction with 2XL Games — is available now for $4.99 in the Apple iTunes App Store. Players get a taste of the action sports rush through console-like graphics, by attempting double-back flips on a snowmobile and other interactive features. Users have the option to play as their own avatars or as X Games medalists LaVallee and Frisby, both designed with their very own custom sled designs. The game challenges players through 6 unique tracks, including the WX14 snocross course, plus 2 additional freestyle levels and an X Games Championship mode. Community features include a Wi-Fi multiplayer mode with up to 5 opponents plus game statistics and leaderboards via live.2xlgames.com. A live ESPN sports feed ticker also highlights the latest news.
Other features and tools exclusively available on mobile devices include:
ESPN Mobile Web:
- During the event, fans can go to http://espn.mobi/wx for WX14 results, schedules and a new photo slideshow daily;
- Wallpapers and ringtones sold directly through XGames.com/Cell.
Alerts and Updates:
- ACTION Updates: Spectator fans in Aspen can text ACTION to 43776 (message and data rates may apply) to opt in to receive customizable event updates for schedules, athlete info, results, venue information, X Fest events and general news;
- X Games Updates: Similar to ACTION Updates, fans not traveling to Aspen can text X to 43776 and opt in to receive TV schedules, XGames.com updates, athlete info and results;
- Alerts: Results will be sent out after every gold medal competition for those that sign up at www.espn.com/alerts or http://espn.mobi/alerts.
On-Site Mobile Interactivity:
- Video boards at WX14 include a text crawl made up of live fan comments and athlete shout-outs sent via text message;
- Fans in attendance use their mobile phones to vote for which songs will be played by the venue DJ or to answer trivia to win prizes provided by sponsors;
- iPhone users will learn how to download the new SnoCross app by texting SNO to 43776.
Beginning today, a library of multimedia content related to everything X will be available on iTunes at www.iTunes.com/winterxgames, including:
- Winter X 14 video featuring day-by-day highlights and the Best of WX14 compilations;
- 8 episodes of Winter X 13 Classix video;
- Feature films including Disney’s X Games: The Movie, Shaun White: Don’t Look Down and Moto X: Evolution of the Trick;
- Athlete music playlists with descriptions from Xavier Bertoni, Andrew Comrie-Picard and Anthony Napolitan;
- Music playlists from ESPN’s on-air production titled As Heard at X;
- Action sports podcasts;
- X Games SnoCross App.