Major Update to WatchESPN App for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch Now Available on the App Store
To tweet: http://bit.ly/WatchESPNAppUpdate
Images to download: http://bit.ly/WatchESPNLTBImages
Adds Live Toolbar, ESPN3 access to college students and military personnel, ESPN on ABC events
Fans that enjoy the convenience of sports at home and on the go with WatchESPN will have a lot to celebrate today with the launch of a major update to the WatchESPN App for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. In addition to live access to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3 and ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater, the latest WatchESPN version introduces several new enhancements, including Live Toolbar, which leverages native functionality to present stats, scores and ESPN.com on-demand clips – all accessible without ever needing to stop a second of streaming video.
“The catalyst for this latest update to the WatchESPN App was content discovery and interactivity. Video is at the very core of what ESPN does best, and the addition of scores, stat and robust highlights and clips complement the fan viewing experience,” said Damon Phillips, Vice President, WatchESPN & ESPN3. “Through constant innovation, we’re able to serve fans not only with what they want right now, but with what we anticipate they’ll want in the future.”
Live Toolbar – available for iPad only – is designed with three main tabs across the bottom scroll of the screen. They include:
- Live TV Lineup – an interactive channel guide for all networks that enables better content discovery and a seamless way to select programming.
- Scores – allows fans to navigate between live, upcoming and concluded games with scores, stats and video highlights for the most popular sports. Expanded views within the tab include:
- Pre-Game View – preview key matchups and statistical information for upcoming events.
- Live View – an in-game experience that allows fans to view live stats, top performing players and an extended line score in real-time. Fans can jump between events on ESPN networks by clicking on a “Watch Live” link above each scoreboard card.
- Post-Game View – features a recap of key players and score information at the conclusion of an event. If an on-demand clip is available, a “Watch Highlights” link will appear above the scoreboard card to instantly access the top highlights of the game.
- Top Videos – robust on-demand video offering of the latest news, highlights and analysis, first introduced within WatchESPN on Apple TV. Fans are able to watch Top Videos in spilt screen mode simultaneously with live programming.
Additional enhancements include:
- Access to ESPN3 for college students and military personnel – ESPN’s multi-screen sports network is now accessible on the WatchESPN App via on-campus (.edu) and on-base (.mil) Wi-Fi networks.
- ESPN on ABC – Live programming of ESPN on ABC events are now featured within the WatchESPN App. Fans will be redirected to the WATCH ABC App for access to that content.
The WatchESPN App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch or at www.AppStore.com/WatchESPN.
Launched in April 2011, WatchESPN delivers live access to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3 and ESPN Buzzer Beater/Goal Line on computers, smartphones, tablets, Xbox and Apple TV. It is currently accessible in 55 million households nationwide to fans who receive ESPN’s linear networks as part of their video subscription from Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Verizon FiOS TV, Comcast Xfinity TV, Midcontinent Communications, Cablevision, Cox, Charter or AT&T U-verse (coming soon to NRTC members’ customers).