The 2014 TCS New York City Marathon will air live in New York on ABC7 and for the rest of the nation on ESPN2 on Sunday, November 2, at 9 a.m. ET. The 44th running of the race will also be available to fans in the New York area on WatchABC and beyond the city on WatchESPN. Additionally, ESPN Deportes+, which is accessible via ESPNdeportes.com, will carry the race in Spanish.
ESPN SportsCenter anchors John Anderson and Hannah Storm co-host race day coverage, with Anderson providing commentary from the booth and Storm at the start and finish lines. They will be joined by ABC7 sports anchors Rob Powers and Laura Behnke, reporter Lewis Johnson and analysts Tim Hutchings and Carrie Tollefson. John Del Giorno (helicopter), Lee Goldberg (weather), Paula Radcliffe (lead women’s reporter), Toni Reavis (lead men’s reporter), David Willey (on-course reporter) and ABC7 reporters Anthony Johnson, Kemberly Richardson and Joe Torres will also provide updates throughout the race. Additionally, Bristol, Conn.,-based commentators Fernando Palomo and Georgina Ruiz Sandoval will call the race for ESPN Deportes+. Commentator conference call audio replay and transcript.
- Cameras: Thirty-eight cameras provide coverage of the race.
- Meb Keflezighi Feature: ESPN SportScience examines Meb Keflezighi’s heart rate, stride and calories burned while running.
- Kara Goucher Feature: A native of Queens, New York, Olympian Kara Goucher returns to New York City for her second New York City Marathon after missing last year’s race because of a foot injury.
- Karrie Zamora and Amy Pomante Feature: Two women run the race in memory of their brothers – fallen soldiers who lost their lives serving in Iraq.
- Caroline Wozniacki Feature: Tennis star Caroline Wozniacki runs her first New York City Marathon to raise money for New York Road Runners’ Team for Kids charity.
- Stephan Shay Feature: Stephan Shay runs the TCS New York City Marathon to honor his brother, Ryan, who collapsed in Central Park and died while running in the Olympic Trials seven years ago.
TCS New York City Marathon Coverage on ABC7 Platforms
- Opening Ceremony: ABC7 kicks off race weekend with live coverage of the Marathon Opening Ceremony Presented by United Airlines on Friday, October 31, at 5:30 p.m. Eyewitness News sports anchor Rob Powers and meteorologist Amy Freeze host the festivities from the finish line in Central Park. In addition to ABC7, the program will be available on 7online and WatchABC.
- Countdown to the Starting Line: Tens of thousands of runners fuel up for race day and ABC7 is there to capture the party Saturday, November 1. Eyewitness News anchors Liz Cho and David Novarro preview the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon live from the Marathon Eve Dinner. The program will be carried on ABC7, 7online, WatchABC and ESPN3.
- Eyewitness News Marathon Sunday:Eyewitness News sports anchors Rob Powers and Laura Behnke take viewers live throughout the five boroughs as New York gets ready to host its biggest sporting event, Sunday, November 2, from 7 a.m.-9 a.m. Meteorologist Lee Goldberg has the race day weather forecast and Amy Freeze will be among the 50,000 runners as they, and she, get ready to run 26.2 miles. The program will be carried on ABC7, 7online, WatchABC and ESPN3.
- TCS New York City Marathon Continuing Coverage: After the professional race is over, ABC7 continues coverage of the race. Hannah Storm and Rob Powers host as we continue to tell the emotional stories of why people decided to run.
TCS New York City Marathon Coverage on ESPN Platforms
- ESPN Radio: ESPN NY 98.7FM will provide pre-race coverage and in-race updates. The station will utilize the resources of ESPN to present highlights and previews leading up to the race and on race day.
- ESPN.com: ESPN.com, Competitor Group and Runner’s World combine to present digital offerings leading up to, during and after the TCS New York City Marathon. Pre-race features include stories on 2009 New York City Marathon winner Meb Keflezighi, the 2013 New York City Marathon women’s wheelchair division champion Tatyana McFadden, and local elite runner Mike Cassidy who finished last year’s race hand-in-hand with Keflezighi. The @ESPN_Endurance Twitter page will provide updates and photos throughout the competition and recaps, analysis and reflections will be available following the race.
- ESPNNewYork.com: ESPNNewYork.com will provide features on New York runners leading up to the TCS New York City Marathon, an interactive course map with the best places to watch the race, and will have a writer covering New York angles on race day.
- WatchESPN and WatchABC: Live coverage of the TCS New York City Marathon will be available nationwide on WatchESPN via computers, smartphones, tablets and connected devices for fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider (blackouts apply in the New York market). Fans located in any of the five boroughs can follow the action on WatchABC.
- ESPN3: ESPN3 will carry pre-race (7-9 a.m.) and post-race coverage (12:30-2 p.m.). In addition, ESPN3 will have an isolated camera feed of the finish line called 2014 TCS New York City Marathon: Finish Line Cam (9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.), which allows fans to see each runner complete the race in Central Park. This feed will also be available on replay so participants can watch themselves cross the finish line. Additionally, ESPN Deportes+ por ESPN3 will carry the event at 9 a.m. in Spanish. Blackouts apply in the New York market.
- espnW:com will have full coverage of the TCS New York City Marathon, including a pre-race feature by Alyssa Roenigk on Joan Benoit Samuelson, who became the first woman to win an Olympic marathon at the Los Angeles Olympics. Thirty years later, she is the only woman to have run a sub-three-hour marathon in five different decades. espnW columnist Sarah Spain will keep a photo diary as one of the celebrity captains cheering on Team V. Also, a feature on how Caroline Wozniacki fared after running her first New York City Marathon.
- Team V: Team V is The V Foundation’s endurance fundraising platform. As first-time participants in the TCS New York City Marathon, more than 40 Team V runners will fundraise for cancer research while racing in the country’s premier marathon.
2014 TCS New York City Marathon Schedule:
|Sun, Nov 2||7-9 a.m.||Pre-Race Coverage||ESPN3, ABC7, WatchABC, 7online.com|
|9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.||TCS New York City Marathon||ESPN2, WatchESPN, ESPN Deportes+, ABC7, WatchABC, 7online.com|
|9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.||Finish Line Coverage||ESPN3, 7online.com|
|12:30-2 p.m.||TCS New York City Marathon and Post-Race Coverage||ESPN3, ABC7, WatchABC, 7online.com|
|4-6 p.m.||TCS New York City Marathon Compilation Show||ABC, WatchABC|
Downloadable race day photos will be available in the ESPN Images library.
The TCS New York City Marathon telecast is produced by IMG.
ABC7 (WABC-TV) is The Walt Disney Company owned television station serving the 7.4 million homes of the New York media market and is the most watched television station in the United States.
ESPN3 is ESPN’s live multi-screen sports network, a destination that delivers thousands of exclusive sports events annually. It is accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app and streamed on televisions through Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. The network is currently available to 95 million homes at no additional cost to fans who receive their high-speed Internet connection or video subscription from an affiliated service provider. The network is also available at no cost to approximately 21 million U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel via computers, smartphones and tablets connected to on-campus educational and on-base military broadband and Wi-Fi networks.
Launched in October 2010, WatchESPN delivers live access to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded, Longhorn Network, SEC Network and SEC Network + on computers, smartphones, tablets, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. It is currently accessible in 75 million households nationwide to fans who receive ESPN’s linear networks as part of their video subscription from AT&T U-verse® TV, Bright House Networks, Cablevision’s Optimum TV, Charter, Comcast Xfinity TV, Cox, DISH, Google Fiber, Mediacom, Midcontinent Communications, NCTC, NRTC, NTTC, Suddenlink, Time Warner Cable and Verizon FiOS TV.
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the most popular and inclusive marathon in the world, attracting the world’s top professional athletes and a vast range of recreational runners. The race began in 1970 with just 127 entrants racing four laps of Central Park. Today, an estimated 50,000 runners from around the world tour New York City’s five boroughs, starting on Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and finishing in Central Park. Participants include Olympians, Paralympians, wheelchair racers, top age-group competitors, and many thousands who run for charity and to achieve their own personal goals. Millions of fans cheer the runners from the streets and watch the global television broadcast. The race is part of the World Marathon Majors, an alliance of the world’s six biggest marathons that determines each year’s top male and top female marathoner. The TCS New York City Marathon is the premier event of New York Road Runners, the world’s foremost community running organization, whose mission is to help and inspire people through running. Tata Consultancy Services, a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the Premier Partner of NYRR and is in its inaugural year as title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon.
IMG is a global leader in sports, fashion and media operating in more than 25 countries around the world. IMG’s businesses include Events & Media, College, Golf, Tennis, Performance and IMG Academy, Fashion, Models, Clients, Consulting, Licensing, Joint Ventures, and creative management agency Art + Commerce. In 2014, IMG was acquired by WME, the world’s leading entertainment and media agency. Together, the companies offer an unparalleled client roster; strategic partnerships with sponsors and brands; and marquee assets across sports, entertainment, events, music and fashion.
— 30 —