- Eight New Shows Added to Weekend Schedule
- espnW Presents: Spain & Prim on ESPN Radio Debuts January 24
- Successful Marty & McGee Podcast Now a Weekly Show
- NBA Lockdown Programs Showcase Leading ESPN NBA Reporters and Analysts Gutierrez, Lawson, Windhorst, Stein and Elhassan
ESPN Audio is unveiling a revamped national weekend lineup, featuring varied voices and fresh perspectives from around the country, throughout the month of January. Eight new shows are being added, including the two-hour espnW Presents: Spain & Prim on ESPN Radio, co-hosted by espnW’s and ESPN Chicago 1000 Radio’s Sarah Spain and ESPN anchor and analyst Prim Siripipat, premiering on Saturday, Jan. 24, at noon ET.
Additional shows debuting in the new lineup are: Marty & McGee, Dave Rothenberg Show, Dickerson & Hood, Robin Lundberg, Coachman & Bretos, Ian Fitzsimmons and NBA Lockdown: Insiders. The ESPN Audio weekend schedule is headlined by hosts from across the country including Baltimore, Bristol, Conn., Charlotte, N.C., Dallas and New York.
Marty & McGee is hosted from Charlotte by ESPN bureau reporter Marty Smith and ESPN The Magazine senior writer Ryan McGee and is broadcast Saturdays from 2 – 4 p.m. The show began as a NASCAR- and motorsports-centric podcast that has expanded into a full two-hour program covering all sports.
The NBA Lockdown programs – the pregame NBA Lockdown and postgame NBA Lockdown: Insiders – showcase some of ESPN’s leading NBA reporters and analysts and offers in-depth coverage of the games of the day. NBA Lockdown returns, hosted by NBA reporter Israel Gutierrez. ESPN basketball analyst Kara Lawson joins the show this year, bringing the perspective of a former WNBA All-Star. Insiders is an extension of Lockdown and will feature ESPN Insider and Cleveland reporter Brian Windhorst, Dallas-based analyst Marc Stein and Phoenix-based analyst Amin Elhassan.
“ESPN Radio has long featured unparalleled weekday talk and must-listen-to event coverage,” said Mo Davenport, senior vice president, ESPN Audio. “Our new weekend lineup expands our impressive array of content, with many engaging, new national voices that will soon be household names.”
Dave Roberts, vice president, network audio content, added, “This lineup gives ESPN Radio listeners access to shows based throughout the country, all hosted by passionate sports fans who will draw upon their disparate experiences and backgrounds to provide entertaining programming. The roster is also indicative of the popularity of digital audio content, with shows like Marty & McGee and NBA Lockdown: Insiders moving to network radio after podcast success.”
espnW Presents: Spain & Prim is a collaboration between espnW and ESPN Radio featuring a distinct perspective on sports that only espnW can provide. Spain — with her deep sports knowledge that comes from growing up, playing and reporting in one of the country’s biggest sports towns – and Siripipat, whose background as a reporter and elite athlete helps frame her take, examine the top stories in the sports world with a “Prim and Not-so-Proper” view.
The show will weave in espnW’s writers and contributors and include a “That’s What She Said” segment, based on Spain’s column for espnW.com, as well as the show-ending “P.S.” segment in which each host will give her thoughts on three timely topics. ESPN.com senior writer and espnW contributor Ramona Shelburne will also join the debut.
“Spain & Prim is yet another extension of espnW’s increasingly successful cross-platform expansion, and one we began fostering with ESPN Radio last year with our first show focused on domestic violence and the NFL’s reaction,” said Alison Overholt, espnW editor-in-chief. “Sarah and Prim will be an engaging and knowledgeable pair that, like espnW, won’t be afraid to push the envelope every now and then.”
- Dari & Mel (existing show) – an NFL- and college football-centric show, hosted by SEC Network anchor Dari Nowkhah (Charlotte-based) and ESPN NFL expert analyst Mel Kiper Jr. (Baltimore-based);
- espnW Presents: Spain & Prim on ESPN Radio (launching January 24) – hosted by espnW columnist Sarah Spain and ESPN anchor and analyst Prim Siripipat, the show is a collaboration between espnW and ESPN Radio featuring a distinct perspective on sports that only espnW can provide;
- Marty & McGee (launched January 10) – previously a podcast, a sports talk show infused with humor and storytelling, hosted by ESPN bureau reporter Marty Smith and ESPN The Magazine senior writer Ryan McGee. The show is broadcast out of Charlotte, N.C.;
- Dave Rothenberg Show (launching January 24) – hosted by longtime New York radio personality Dave Rothenberg, the show incorporates listener reactions to the latest sports headlines;
- Dickerson & Hood (launched January 10) – hosted by ESPN Chicago voices Jeff Dickerson and Jonathan Hood, the show brings together listener interactions and previews and reaction to the day’s sporting events;
- Robin Lundberg (launched January 3) – ESPN New York’s Robin Lundberg shares his perspective on the biggest stories in the sports world;
- The Ian O’Connor Show (existing show)– hosted by ESPNNewYork.com columnist Ian O’Connor with reaction to the day’s top stories and a look ahead to the week’s biggest games;
- Lupica (existing show) — Mike Lupica (New York and Bristol) offers his insight and expertise on everything from the Yankees to Mets, Knicks to Rangers, Jets to Giants and everything in between;
- NBA Lockdown (launches January 25) — covers all of the latest NBA news with ESPN’s team of experts, hosted by reporter Israel Gutierrez (Miami-based) and basketball analyst Kara Lawson (Bristol-based);
- Coachman & Bretos (launches February 15)– an opinionated, high-energy talk show hosted by ESPN studio hosts Jonathan Coachman and Max Bretos, based in Bristol;
- Ian Fitzsimmons (launched January 11) – hosted by ESPN Radio sideline reporter Ian Fitzsimmons (Dallas-based) featuring his takes on the news of the day;
- NBA Lockdown: Insiders (launches January 25) – an extension of NBA Lockdown showcasing ESPN reporters and analysts Marc Stein (Dallas-based), Brian Windhorst (Cleveland-based) and Amin Elhassan (Phoenix-based);
- V Show with Bob Valvano (existing show) – longtime ESPN Radio host Bob Valvano (Louisville-based) discusses the hottest topics in basketball.
ESPN Audio’s new weekend lineup can be heard on ESPN Radio and via the ESPN Radio app, the SportsCenter app, ESPNRadio.com, SiriusXM, Apple iTunes, Slacker Radio and TuneIn.
New weekend schedule:
|Saturdays||8 a.m. – Noon||Dari & Mel|
|Noon – 2 p.m.||espnW Presents: Spain & Prim on ESPN Radio **|
|2 – 4 p.m.||Marty & McGee**|
|4 – 7 p.m.||Dave Rothenberg Show**|
|7 – 11 p.m.||Dickerson & Hood**|
|11 p.m. – 1 a.m.||Robin Lundberg**|
|Sundays||7 – 9 a.m.||The Ian O’Connor Show|
|9 – 11 a.m.||Lupica|
|11 a.m. – Noon||NBA Lockdown|
|Noon – 3 p.m.||Coachman & Bretos**|
|3 – 7 p.m.||Ian Fitzsimmons**|
|7 – 10 p.m.||NBA Lockdown: Insiders**|
|10 p.m. – 1 a.m.||V Show with Bob Valvano|
– 30 –