Downloadable ESPN Images: http://bit.ly/1SiUrWz
Join in the social conversation: #JimmyVWeek
Events include Jimmy V Men’s and Women’s Basketball Classics, features in three NBA on ESPN doubleheaders & Monday Night Football
ESPN’s Jimmy V Week – celebrating its 10th year on all domestic ESPN platforms – continues to drive awareness of and donations to the V Foundation for Cancer Research starting Wednesday, Nov. 30 through Friday, Dec. 9, with additional programming and highlights continuing throughout the month. Last year, Jimmy V Week raised a record $3.2 million, bringing the nine-year total of contributions to more than $13.7 million.
“As we approach this milestone 10th annual Jimmy V Week, we can simultaneously reflect on the great progress that has been made over the past decade and the important work still to be done,” said John Skipper, ESPN President. “Like so many families, we at ESPN have had too many recent reminders of cancer’s devastating effects, yet we have also been encouraged by how meaningful the advancements in research have been in helping treat this dreadful disease. During V Week, we are able to share great stories of hope and inspiration across our entities, while showcasing the tireless work of the V Foundation and its ongoing impact in this critical fight.”
- Simulcast of former NC State coach Jim Valvano’s 1993 ESPYS speech on Wednesday, Nov. 30, with excerpts from other exceptional ESPY speeches, will air simultaneously across ESPN networks
- Presentation of the Jimmy V Men’s and Women’s Basketball Classics
- Integration in Monday Night Football, NBA on ESPN and college sports programming
- Features and vignettes in game telecasts and studio programming across platforms
- Activation across ESPN and the V Foundation social media platforms
- Special graphics, including the Jimmy V Week logo and the on-screen watermark
Jimmy V Roadblock
The week launches with a 15-minute simulcast of Valvano’s 1993 ESPYS speech, which also includes the best moments from Robin Roberts, Stuart Scott and Craig Sager’s ESPYS speeches and a mix of story clips from cancer patients, survivors and V cancer researchers.
- It will be shown at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Classic, ESPN Radio, ESPN Deportes, SEC Network, Longhorn Network and WatchESPN
- The Roadblock will also be on International networks: ESPN PacRim, ESPN3 North and ESPN Caribbean
- It will also be available on ESPN.com, ESPN3, ESPN Video on Demand and jimmyv.org
- A captioned Roadblock will also be available on the ABC SuperSign in Times Square, HearstLive, New York City Disney Store and within Disney Resorts
Jimmy V Men’s and Women’s Basketball Classics presented by Corona
Jimmy V Week includes the two annual Classics, which will highlight several significant donations through on-court check presentations.
- Four-time defending national champion and No. 2-ranked UConn faces No. 14 Texas at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., on Sunday, Dec. 4, at 4 p.m. on ESPN
- The men’s event on Tuesday, Dec. 6, will showcase No. 17 Purdue vs. Arizona State and Florida against No. 6 Duke
- ESPN and ESPN Radio will present both games from New York City’s famed Madison Square Garden (MSG) in New York City, beginning at 7 p.m.
- College GameDay Covered by State Farm will be live from the Jimmy V Men’s Classic starting at 6:30 p.m.
- The teams will be wearing V Foundation-branded socks and pins
- Social media content from ESPN commentators live from MSG
Game Telecast Integration
Custom PSAs, special messages and Jimmy V Week content, graphics and executions will appear on Monday Night Football, NBA on ESPN, college sports programming and in-studio programming on ESPN networks.
- Monday Night Football integration will include the Indianapolis Colts at the New York Jets on December 5
- Three NBA doubleheaders throughout the course of the week
- Friday, Dec. 2 – Cleveland Cavaliers at Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets at Denver Nuggets
- Wednesday, Dec. 7 – Cleveland Cavaliers at New York Knicks and Golden State Warriors at LA Clippers
- Friday, Dec. 9 – Houston Rockets at Oklahoma City Thunder and Phoenix Suns at LA Lakers
- Featured games as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge presented by LG V20 on Tuesday, Nov. 30, plus the highly-anticipated matchup of UConn vs. No. 18 Syracuse on Monday, Dec. 5, also from MSG
- ESPN’s coverage of the final weekend of college football, plus the network’s presentation of The Home Depot College Football Awards
Vignettes & PSA Integration
All programming on ESPN domestic networks throughout Jimmy V Week and integration across ESPN studio and ESPN Radio programming will air vignettes and special PSAs.
- Your Fight Is Our Fight: The emotionally-charged vignettes are from the view of real cancer patients and their support system showing the raw emotion that comes from a cancer diagnosis, going through radiation/chemo and finally being in remission
- ESPN Testimonials: Statements from 13 ESPN on-air commentators discussing their personal stories with cancer
- Jim Valvano’s fames 1993 ESPYS speech recorded by athletes, coaches and those affected by cancer
- You’ve Got Cancer piece narrated by Robin Roberts
Activation across ESPN and the V Foundation social media platforms.
- Social conversation around unified hashtag: #JimmyVWeek
- Sharable content related to and created for V Week
- ESPYS speeches from Valvano, Roberts, Scott, Sager and Devon Still
- V Week vignettes, including selfie videos of sharing stories about cancer’s effects and special PSAs and first-person testimonials
On all ESPN networks, the BottomLine will encourage viewers to join ESPN and The V Foundation in the fight against cancer.
- Visit JimmyV.org or call 800-4JimmyV
- The message will also run in Spanish on ESPN Deportes, in addition to messaging on Longhorn Network
About The V Foundation for Cancer Research
The V Foundation for Cancer Research is dedicated to declaring victory over cancer. It was founded in 1993 by ESPN and the late Jim Valvano, legendary North Carolina State basketball coach and ESPN commentator. Since 1993, the Foundation has funded more than $170 million in cancer research grants nationwide. It awards 100 percent of all direct cash donations to cancer research and related programs. Due to generous donors, the Foundation has an endowment that covers administrative expenses. The Foundation awards peer-reviewed grants through a competitive awards process vetted by a Scientific Advisory Committee. For more information on The V Foundation, please visit www.jimmyv.org.
About ESPN Corporate Citizenship
ESPN believes that, at its very best, sports uplifts the human spirit. Its corporate citizenship programs use power of sport to positively address society’s needs through strategic community investments, cause marketing programs, collaboration with sports organizations and employee volunteerism, while also utilizing its diverse media assets. For more information, go to www.espn.com/citizenship.