As the 2016 U.S. presidential election reaches its final days, today FiveThirtyEight outlines its Election Day coverage for Tuesday, Nov. 8, which will formally begin at about 9 a.m. ET and continue until the next president is decided.
Editor-in-Chief Nate Silver and FiveThirtyEight’s political team will be monitoring exit polls, covering breaking developments and analyzing the returns as they come in. The site will host an ongoing live Election Day blog, publish various election-related articles and videos and host an hourly livestream with state-by-state updates, which will also be available on Facebook Live. Additionally, Silver will provide live on-air analysis of the races on ABC News.
As polls close and states are called, the site will publish a real-time forecast of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton’s chances of winning the White House – an election night version of its Election Forecast, which has been a key tool among voters and fans. FiveThirtyEight will also have a real-time Senate forecast. Furthermore, the FiveThirtyEight Elections podcast will debut an Election Preview episode on Monday, followed by a post-election episode on Wednesday, where the team will discuss the results and the road ahead for the next president.
In the coming days FiveThirtyEight will publish:
- A final pre-election presidential race analysis by Nate Silver;
- A final pre-election Senate overview by Harry Enten;
- The last installment in Clare Malone’s series, The New Bellwethers;
- “How To Watch House Races,” by David Wasserman: A guide to which House races will go red and blue and how to tell whether Democrats have a chance to win back the chamber;
- “How To Watch The Results”: A chronological election night guide to which states to pay attention to and where Trump and Clinton really need to win.
Videos running throughout FiveThirtyEight on Election Day include:
- Final Election Updates: FiveThirtyEight will showcase Silver as he looks at the final presidential and Senate forecasts.
- Harry’s History: During the day, Harry Enten will share interesting and humorous Election Night arcana.
- Bellwether Counties: In three videos released throughout the day, Clare Malone will examine the counties that demonstrate America’s shifting political allegiances and how those are impacting the 2016 race.
FiveThirtyEight, which launched as an ESPN entity in 2014, is a data journalism organization delivering compelling stories across the verticals of politics, economy, science, life and sports. The site was founded by award-winning author and statistician Nate Silver. Since its debut at ESPN, FiveThirtyEight has built a team with a broad set of skills and experiences in order to apply statistical analysis, data visualization, and data-literate reporting to topics in the news and in everyday life.