Average of 112 million unique global users per month sets new ESPN record;
Led global digital sports category for unique visitors, total minutes and total visits for 11 months of the year;
Average minute audience of 160,000 in U.S. is more than Nos. 2 and 3 sports properties combined.
For all of calendar year 2016, ESPN Digital Media reached an average of 112.1 million unique fans globally each month, ESPN’s largest total ever and up 5 percent over 2015. ESPN’s average monthly unique visitor total was 20.4 million more than the the No. 2 sports property (Yahoo Sports-NBC Sports Network, 91.7 million).
In the average month fans spent 7.9 billion minutes using ESPN digital properties worldwide in 2016, 3.0 billion more than the No. 2 property (Yahoo Sports-NBC Sports Network, 4.9 billion). ESPN led the global digital sports category in unique visitors, total minutes, and total visits throughout 11 months of the year.
ESPN also continued its leadership position among all digital sports properties in the U.S. in 2016:
- Throughout the calendar year, fans visited ESPN digital products more than 10 billion times and spent 84.3 billion minutes with ESPN digital content.
- ESPN delivered an average minute audience of 160,000 in the U.S. in 2016. This was more than the Nos. 2 and 3 digital sports properties combined (Yahoo Sports-NBC Sports Network, 90,000; MLB, 38,000).
- ESPN accounted for 29.9 percent of all sports category usage on digital platforms, also more than the Nos. 2 and 3 properties combined (Yahoo! Sports-NBC Sports Network, 16.9 percent; MLB, 7.1 percent).
- ESPN reached 48 percent of all monthly U.S. sports category users in 2016 and 34 percent of all monthly U.S. internet users regardless of category.
- The ESPN App was No. 1 in the U.S. sports category for monthly unique visitors in every month of 2016.
- ESPN’s portfolio of apps reached 25.1 million monthly unique visitors and generated 34.3 billion minutes of usage throughout the year, more than any other sports media property.
- ESPN garnered 33 percent of all U.S. sports app usage.
Additional annual results from ESPN Fan & Media Intelligence:
- Fans watched 4.9 billion on-platform digital video clips on ESPN platforms in 2016, up 9 percent from a year ago. ESPN saw 1.7 billion video views on phones, up 42 percent year-over-year.1
- An average of 8.3 million unique viewers streamed ESPN content monthly in 2016, up 24 percent from a year ago. Viewers spent a total of 22.5 billion minutes streaming ESPN programming across all platforms during the year, up 44 percent.1
1 Source: Adobe Analytics