Let’s Talk College Football: ESPN Commentators for 2017 Season
Photos to Download: http://bit.ly/2hksHts
- ABC’s Saturday Night Football: Maria Taylor Joins Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit
- Veterans and Newcomers Round Out Roster of More than 70 Commentators
College football fans will be entertained and informed by ESPN’s roster of more than 70 well-versed commentators, ranging from veterans to newcomers, as they watch the sport’s most compelling games across the company’s various networks this season.
Maria Taylor Joins 2016’s Most-Watched College Football Franchise
Maria Taylor will join Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit, ESPN’s lead play-by-play commentator and analyst, on the call of ABC’s Saturday Night Football, the most-watched franchise on any network last season. As it was announced in May, Taylor will be the reporter on the telecasts, as the former Georgia Bulldog shifts back to college football sidelines after hosting SEC Nation on SEC Network last football season. For Fowler and Herbstreit, it is their fourth college football season working together.
New Season, Similar Faces Across ESPN and ABC
Fans will hear familiar voices in the upcoming season on ESPN and ABC, with several broadcast teams remaining the same from last season, including ESPN’s prime-time commentators Joe Tessitore, Todd Blackledge and Holly Rowe. The trio comes off their first year working together which concluded in the College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
Steve Levy, Brian Griese, and Todd McShay are among the other trios returning, as well as:
- Dave Pasch, Greg McElroy and Tom Luginbill
- Bob Wischusen, Brock Huard and Allison Williams
- Mark Jones, Rod Gilmore and Quint Kessenich
Huard, Gilmore, Luginbill, and McElroy all signed new contracts with ESPN, which was announced last week.
Beth Mowins, who is set to become the first female to call an NFL game since 1987, will once again work with Anthony Becht and Rocky Boiman this season.
Tommy Tuberville, Dusty Dvoracek Among Commentator Changes; Thursday Night Gets New Twist
A familiar face becomes a new voice as Tommy Tuberville, a head coach for more than 20 seasons, becomes an analyst, joining Mike Patrick and Paul Carcaterra this year. Additional elements to look for:
- Friday Night Lights: Dusty Dvoracek, a former two-time captain at Oklahoma, will be an analyst on ESPN’s Friday night telecasts, teaming up most weeks with Adam Amin and Molly McGrath, who return for their second season to call Friday night games. Mack Brown will be an analyst on a number of Friday night telecasts, appearing mostly in weeks which ESPN has multiple games on the night. The former national champion head coach’s game analyst work is in addition to his ABC studio work, which was previously announced. A second play-by-play person for Friday nights will be named in the coming weeks.
- Thursday Night Twist: New this year, ESPN will rotate analysts to be paired in the booth with play-by-play voice Dave Flemming. Flemming, who returns to the Thursday night telecast with a new contract this season, will be paired with a variety of personalities. Laura Rutledge will be the sideline reporter each week in addition to her new gig hosting SEC Nation each Saturday.
- SEC Network: In addition to the SEC Saturday Night team – Tom Hart, Jordan Rodgers, and Cole Cubelic – which was announced at SEC Football Media Days, SEC Network will have two additional regular commentating teams: Taylor Zarzour, Andre Ware, Olivia Harlan and Dave Neal, Matt Stinchcomb, Dawn Davenport
- Longhorn Network: Former Texas Longhorn Ahmad Brooks will be the analyst alongside play-by-play man Lowell Galindo to call Longhorn Network’s two games this season: vs. San Jose State (Sept. 9) and vs. Kansas (Nov. 11).
2017 College Football Commentator Teams
|ABC Saturday Night Football||Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Maria Taylor|
|ESPN Saturday Night Primetime||Joe Tessitore, Todd Blackledge, Holly Rowe|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Steve Levy, Brian Griese, Todd McShay|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Dave Pasch, Greg McElroy, Tom Luginbill|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Bob Wischusen, Brock Huard, Allison Williams|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Mike Patrick, Tommy Tuberville, Paul Carcaterra|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Mark Jones, Rod Gilmore, Quint Kessenich|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Jason Benetti, Kelly Stouffer, Kris Budden|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Beth Mowins, Anthony Becht, Rocky Boiman|
|ESPN or ABC Saturday||Anish Shroff, Ahmad Brooks, Roddy Jones|
|ESPN Thursday||Dave Flemming, Rotating Analyst, Laura Rutledge|
|ESPN Friday||Adam Amin, Dusty Dvoracek, Molly McGrath
(plus Mack Brown on select extra Friday games)
|SEC Saturday Night||Tom Hart, Jordan Rodgers, Cole Cubelic|
|SEC Network Saturday||Taylor Zarzour, Andre Ware, Olivia Harlan|
|SEC Network Saturday||Dave Neal, Matt Stinchcomb, Dawn Davenport|
|ESPNU Saturday||Clay Matvick, Kirk Morrison|
|ESPNU Saturday||Mike Couzens, John Congemi|
|ESPNU Saturday||Roy Philpott, Tom Ramsey|
|ESPNU/ESPNNEWS Sat.||Mike Corey, Rene Ingoglia|
|ESPNU Thursday||Eric Clemons, Jay Walker|
|ESPN/ESPN2 Midweek||Chris Cotter, Desmond Howard, Quint Kessenich|
|ESPN/ESPN2 Midweek||Kevin Negandhi, Tom Luginbill/Rocky Boiman|
|Longhorn Network||Lowell Galindo, Ahmad Brooks|
|ESPN Radio||Bill Rosinski, David Norrie, Ian Fitzsimmons|
|ESPNU Friday – High School Football||Kevin Brown, Craig Haubert|
Commentating groups subject to change; Game assignments for week 1 will be announced soon
Media contact: Derek Volner at 860-384-9986; [email protected] and @DerekVolner