ESPN Will Also Air UEFA Champions League Final in 4K on May 26
ESPN reached another milestone yesterday by being the first sports broadcaster to air a live sporting event in 4K in Latin America. As leaders in the implementation of the latest, cutting-edge technology to serve fans, ESPN aired the first leg of a home-and-away UEFA Champions League semifinal – a Liverpool FC 5-2 home victory over AS Roma – in 4K. The live telecast was available on DIRECTV Channel 4000 in Argentina and Peru.
ESPN’s coverage in 4K continues Saturday, May 26 with the UEFA Champions League Final live from Kiev, Ukraine.
Said Guillermo Tabanera, senior vice president and general manager of ESPN Media Networks in Latin America, “We are proud to be the first to showcase a sporting event in 4K in the region. Our mission is to offer the best viewing experience for fans with the highest quality content on any available screen. Our inaugural 4K broadcast achieves that.”
Other ESPN Milestones in Latin America
- First 24/7 sports network
- First OTT sports platform in the region, ESPN Play
- First HD sports network
- First live 3D sports event
- First authenticated linear platform, providing access to all networks in HD and via streaming (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 & ESPN+)
- First live sports event in 4K