- Boilermakers’ Upset Averages More than 6.2 Million Viewers; Peaks at More than 8.1 Million
- ABC/ESPN Combine to Air Two Most-Watched Primetime Games of Week 8, Seventh Consecutive Week Most-Watched Prime-time Game Aired on ESPN/ABC
- Seattle Market Earns its Second-Highest Rating On Record for College GameDay Built by The Home Depot
College football’s most-watched games of the season have aired on ABC, a trend that continued in week 8 with the network’s Saturday Night Football telecast of Ohio State at Purdue (7:30 p.m.). The Boilermakers’ 49-20 upset generated a total live audience of 6,368,000 viewers, the most-watched game of the week across all networks and ranks among the Top 5 most-watched games of the season across all networks.
ABC has Aired Two Most-Watched Games of the Season, Five of the Top 6
In addition to airing the two most-watched games of the season, ABC now has aired five of the six most-watched game. The network’s signature franchise, Saturday Night Football, has aired four of the games.
|Rank||Game||Nielsen Reported Audience||Network|
|1||Ohio State at Penn State||9,159,000 viewers||ABC|
|2||Ohio State at TCU||7,244,000 viewers||ABC|
|3||Michigan at Notre Dame||7,107,000 viewers||NBC|
|4||Miami vs. LSU||6,562,000 viewers||ABC|
|5||Ohio State at Purdue||6,292,000 viewers||ABC|
|6||Wisconsin at Michigan||6,048,000 viewers||ABC|
Please note: For ABC games, Nielsen reported audience does not include streaming audiences.
Additional Buckeye-Boilermaker Audience Superlatives
- Eight Million Plus: The audience peaked at 8,105,000 viewers (11 – 11:15 p.m.) late in the fourth quarter as the Boilermakers extended their lead
- Prime-time Leaders: ESPN/ABC has now aired the most-watched college football prime-time game for seven consecutive weeks
ESPN Airs Second Most-Watched Primetime Game of Week 8; Audience up 62% in Game Window
ESPN telecast of Mississippi State at LSU (7 p.m.) delivered a Nielsen total live audience of 3,106,000 viewers, the second most-watched college football game in prime-time this week across all networks, trailing only ABC’s Saturday Night Football. The audience for the Tigers’ victory was up 62% from the similar game window last year.
College GameDay Built By Home Depot Earns Second Best Rating in Seattle on Record
College GameDay Built by The Home Depot’s first ever trip to Pullman, Wash., and the campus of Washington State University resonated throughout the entire state. In Seattle, the three hour show was the second-highest College GameDay on record and the best in the market since 2013. Throughout the entire nation, the show delivered a Nielsen total live audience of 1,801,000 viewers (ESPN and ESPNU).