- 24 Top-Tier Italian Football Matches Across ESPN+
- Coppa Italia Final and Supercoppa Italiana on ESPN Networks
- ESPN+ Adds Danish Superliga, Sweden’s Allsvenskan, Indian Super League
ESPN+ and ESPN have reached an exclusive, multi-year rights agreement in the United States for Coppa Italia and the Supercoppa Italiana – the two premier Cup competitions in Italian football. Coppa Italia is Italy’s single-elimination domestic Cup competition, and Supercoppa Italiana is the annual matchup between the winner of Italy’s Serie A versus the Coppa Italia champion. The agreement, combined with the acquisition of 380 Serie A matches, makes ESPN and ESPN+ the exclusive home of Italian professional football in the United States.
Twenty-four Coppa Italia matches will air each year on ESPN+, the first multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company Direct-to-Consumer & International (DTCI) segment in conjunction with ESPN, which launched earlier this spring. Coverage will begin with the Coppa Italia round of 16 matches in January 2019 through the two-leg, semifinal series in February.
The annual Coppa Italia Final (April 25, 2019) and the one-match Supercoppa Italiana will air live on the ESPN networks (ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNEWS), in addition to ESPN Deportes’ live Spanish-language presentation of the matches.
“Coppa Italia and Serie A are the crown jewels of Italian football,” said Burke Magnus, Executive Vice President, Programming and Scheduling, ESPN. “Having the two properties as part of the foundational sports content on ESPN+ makes the platform a must-have digital network for soccer fans in the United States.”
ESPN+ Adds Danish Superliga, Sweden’s Allsvenskan and Indian Super League
Already home to Italian Serie A, FA Cup, Major League Soccer and other top soccer leagues from around the world, ESPN+ has acquired rights to the Danish Superliga, Sweden’s Allsvenskan and Indian Super League – adding 126 matches to the annual schedule. Highlights:
Danish Superliga (Denmark):
- The 14-team league has a unique competition format – league-wide home-and-away series combined with teams paired into 10-match championship rounds for the top-six teams (bottom eight compete in relegation playoffs) – played July through May
- Current champion: FC Midtjylland
- Approximately 36 matches (one per week) will be streamed on ESPN+.
- The 16-team Allsvenskan is a foundational league for the Swedish National Team, which reached the 2018 FIFA World Cup quarterfinals
- Current champion: Malmö FF
- ESPN+ will stream 30 matches (one per week) April through November.
Indian Super League:
- The 10-team Indian Super League (ISL) began play in October 2014
- Current champion: Chennaiyin FC
- ESPN+ will stream 60 matches (five per week).
ESPN+, which surpassed one million paying subscribers in just five months, is the premium multi-sport, direct-to-consumer video service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment and ESPN. It offers fans thousands of additional live events, on-demand content and original programming not available on ESPN’s linear TV or digital networks, along with premium editorial content.
Programming on ESPN+ includes hundreds of soccer matches a year, including MLS, UEFA Nations League, USL and more, as well as ESPN’s signature daily studio program ESPN FC. Additionally, fans get hundreds of MLB and NHL games, thousands of college sports events, exclusive Top Rank boxing, UFC (beginning in 2019), Grand Slam tennis, international and domestic rugby, cricket, new and exclusive documentary films and series, acclaimed studio shows and the full library of ESPN’s award-winning 30 for 30 films. In addition, subscribers get access to exclusive expert analysis and editorial content about players, teams, and leagues, as well as analytical tools to help them with their fantasy sports teams. Fans subscribe to ESPN+ for just $4.99 a month (or $49.99 per year) and cancel at any time.
ESPN+ is an integrated part of the ESPN App, the leading sports app and the premier all-in-one digital sports platform for fans. The ESPN App is a showcase of the company’s culture of innovation, delivering a rich, personalized experience that curates all of ESPN’s incredible content around each fan’s individual tastes. ESPN+ is also be available through ESPN.com.