Series Debuts November 20, exclusively on ESPN+
Explores Unique Bond Between LeBron James And Longtime Friends-Turned-Business Partners Maverick Carter, Rich Paul and Randy Mims
- ESPN+ and UNINTERRUPTED, the award-winning digital media company founded by LeBron James and Maverick Carter, will debut a new original series, More Than An Athlete on November 20, exclusively on ESPN+ — the premium direct-to-consumer sports service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment and ESPN.
- More Than An Athlete is an eight-episode series examines the various stages and moments of LeBron James’ journey from basketball prodigy to global sports icon, businessman and philanthropist through the lens of the unique bonds of friendship and partnership which forged between four men over more than two decades – James, Carter, Randy Mims and Rich Paul.
- The seriesblends archival footage with new interviews and candid conversations between the four friends and business partners as they recount successes, failures and key milestones in their shared journey.
- More Than an Athlete is produced by UNINTERRUPTED in association with ESPN+ and executive produced by James, Carter, Mims and Paul.
- The first two episodes of the series will be available to subscribers of ESPN+ on Nov. 20, with new episodes posting regularly through Jan. 8.
- Episode One will look at the origin of the friendships that have been the underpinning for two decades of developments in sport, business, media and philanthropy, and also examines the formation of the I Promise School — one of James’ most recent and ambitious initiatives.
- Episode Two looks back on one of the more infamous chapters in their time working together – a television special event – “The Decision” — that announced James’ free agent signing with the Miami Heat, contrasting that with previously-unseen behind the scenes footage from James’ recent free agent signing with the Los Angeles Lakers.
- More Than An Athlete joins a lineup of ESPN+ original series that includes Detail with Peyton Manning (football) and Detail with Kobe Bryant (basketball); Earn Everything, which follows Duke University basketball; the forthcoming series The Boardroom (co-produced with Kevin Durant’s Thirty Five Media); NBA: Year One, now in its second season, which follows NBA rookies through their first year; Draft Academy, following the path of top NFL prospects from the combine through to the NFL Draft; Quest For The Stanley Cup, taking viewers behind the scenes of the NHL postseason; Enhanced, from ESPN Films, which examines the intersection of sports, technology and performance; and more.
- ESPN+, whichsurpassed one million paying subscribers in just five months, is the premium multi-sport, direct-to-consumer video service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment and ESPN. In addition to original programs, ESPN+ includes acclaimed studio shows and thousands of live, exclusive, sporting events, the full library of ESPN’s award-winning 30 for 30 films, access to premium ESPN editorial content.
- Fans subscribe to ESPN+ for just $4.99 a month (or $49.99 per year) and can cancel at any time. It is available through the ESPN App, the leading sports app and the premier all-in-one digital sports platform for fans. ESPN+ is also available through ESPN.com.