New SurveyMonkey poll commissioned by The Undefeated reveals deep split over national anthem protests and Rooney Rule
The Undefeated, ESPN’s content initiative exploring the intersections of sports, race and culture, published the final installment of its season-long “State of the Black NFL Fan” series today. The results of the SurveyMonkey poll commissioned by The Undefeated revealed a ‘deep racial divide over how the National Football League is viewed’.
Poll results of note:
- Among black respondents, 45 percent strongly support the policy of having a rule intended to promote diversity. Only 26 percent of white respondents do.
- Eleven percent of black respondents consider NFL players who kneel during the singing of the national anthem as unpatriotic. Among whites, the number is 44 percent.
- Among black respondents, 59 percent strongly support NFL players who kneel during the national anthem to protest police brutality and economic inequality. Only 24 percent of white fans do.
Click here for the full report.
The Undefeated began reporting the “State of the Black NFL Fan” in August 2018. The series featured an in-depth examination of black NFL fans and their reaction to the league’s handling of protests for social justice by the players, including the impact of the national debate on fans.
The Undefeated’s senior NFL writer Jason Reid reported the series. Some highlights:
- Black folk are NFL fans too: An introduction to the season-long look at the State of the Black NFL Fan;
- The NFL needs to recognize the pain African-Americans are going through: Two die-hard black Chicago Bears fans are forced to consider the extent of their loyalty;
- Just because we all wear a uniform doesn’t mean we all think alike: A look at black military veterans and police officers and their views on the national anthem protests in the NFL;
- How ’bout them Cowboys? Black fans and the struggle with America’s Team: Dallas remains at the center of the national debate over the divisive issue of NFL players protesting during the anthem.
Other notable NFL pieces reported recently by The Undefeated:
- Anquan Boldin: ‘We see teams competing to make a difference in the community – Boldin, as told to Jason Reid;
- Kaepernick rarely speaks but still dominates every NFL conversation: From Super Bowl halftime to Nike’s ad campaign to Madden, the debate over the quarterback’s protest isn’t going away;
- Devin McCourty is making winning plays for Patriots and Players Coalition;
- NFL hires in the Rooney Rule era: The Undefeated examines the league’s push for equality and what the data reveals;
- Redskins’ Josh Norman tackling education with Players Coalition: The cornerback spent time visiting schools to educate himself on the issues.
The Undefeated is ESPN’s multiplatform content initiative exploring the intersections of sports, race and culture. The digital hub, TheUndefeated.com, which launched in May 2016, combines innovative long-form and short-form
In addition to its cutting-edge content, The Undefeated seeks to be a thought-leader on race, sports and culture in the country – convening insightful forums to discuss and debate topical issues affecting sports and race in America.
Contact: [email protected]