A Compilation of Episodes 1-6 of the ESPN+ Original Series
The ABC Television Network will air Peyton’s Places: Volume 1, a compilation of Episodes 1-6 of the ESPN+ original documentary series, on Sunday, Sept. 1, at 3 p.m. ET. Hosted by ESPN Radio and NFL host Trey Wingo, the 30-minute program on ABC features segments from the first six episodes of the series produced by NFL Films and ESPN+ as part of the year-long celebration of the National Football League’s 100th season.
Episodes in Peyton’s Places: Volume 1:
- Episode 1 – The Hupmobile: Peyton drives a 1920s Hupmobile with comedian Jay Leno and visits with Joe Namath in a look back at historic moments that birthed the National Football League.
- Episode 2 – The Greatest Catch: Peyton re-enacts a 1926 Giants publicity stunt by throwing a pass off the top of the Radiator Building in New York City to Hall of Famer Cris Carter in adjacent Bryant Park.
- Episode 3 – History of the Quarterback: Peyton explores the evolution of the quarterback with Hall of Famers Roger Staubach (Cowboys) and Joe Montana (49ers/Chiefs).
- Episode 4 – The Draft: Peyton explores the history of the NFL Draft with cameos by CNBC Mad Money host Jim Cramer and draft expert Mel Kiper.
- Episode 5 – Evolution of the Wide Receiver: Peyton experiences the art and tricks of being a wide receiver. Cameos by Raymond Berry, Antonio Brown, Fred Biletnikoff and Jerry Rice.
- Episode 6 – Ray Lewis: Peyton visits with the Baltimore Ravens Hall of Fame defensive star to revisit some of their epic game matchups.
ESPN will carry Volumes 2-4 of the Peyton’s Places compilation series monthly from October through December. ABC will televise Volume 5 in February 2020.
New ESPN+ Release Dates for Peyton’s Places (Episodes 8-12)
ESPN+ has updated the order of release dates for Peyton’s Places Episodes 8-12.
Updated release dates for Peyton’s Places (exclusively on ESPN+):
- Episode 8 – Da Bears (September 1): Actor George Wendt and writer/comedian Robert Smigel, who play Bill Swerki’s super-fan characters in the popular Saturday Night Live skit, turn Peyton into a born-again Chicagoan as a fan of Da Bears.
- Episode 9 – The Lombardi Trophy (September 8): Every NFL team covets the Lombardi Trophy, named after Vince Lombardi, one of the legendary figures in the history of the league. Peyton and his brother, Eli Manning, the Giants two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, go on a journey to discover the history behind the trophy and attempt to recreate the original prototype.
- Episode 10 – Game Wreckers (September 15): Peyton meets up with Texans All-Pro defensive end J. Watt, one of the game’s most fearsome defenders, gets slugged by a baseball bat, and gets in the ring with George Foreman to explain how dealing with pass rushers is similar to being in a heavyweight brawl.
- Episode 11 – Unbreakable Records (September 22): Hall of Famers Brett Favre, Eric Dickerson and Emmitt Smith have achieved milestones no player in the league is likely to match or surpass. While discussing whether their respective NFL records will stand the test of time, Peyton visits with Smith at his memorabilia storage unit, dons Dickerson’s goggles, and shares cheese curds with Favre.
- Episode 12 – The Birth of the Ball (September 29): Over the NFL’s 100 seasons, the football has evolved from the original watermelon ball to the model used today. Peyton meets up with former teammate Brandon Stokely to trace the history of the football, and later ventures inside the Wilson football factory in Ada, Ohio, to make the perfect pigskin.
About Peyton’s Places
Peyton’s Places offers a fun, insightful tour through 100 years of football, following the sport and the league’s rise to an American cultural touchstone. For nearly a year, Peyton crisscrossed the country, visiting the people and places that have played an important part in the making of the NFL – highlighting memorable events, teams, players and trends over the past century. Peyton and NFL Films producers chose the people, places and stories in the series.