- An inside look at Virginia’s run to the 2019 NCAA Championship
- First-hand accounts from key members of the team
One of the most extraordinary seasons in college basketball history will be chronicled with Unbelievable: Virginia’s Improbable Path To A Title, the story of the Virginia men’s basketball team’s incredible run to the 2019 NCAA Championship. The one-hour documentary will air this fall exclusively on ACC Network (ACCN), the new, 24/7 national platform launching on Thursday, August 22, 2019.
“Coach Bennett and his team did what many thought was unthinkable – rebounding from a devastating loss to capturing a series of dramatic tournament wins on the game’s biggest stage. We are delighted to tell this inspiring story on ACCN, and are thankful for Virginia’s generosity in letting us do so,” said Stacie McCollum, senior director of programming and acquisitions.
The Cavaliers pulled off one of the most dramatic turnarounds in NCAA tournament history in 2019 – winning the program’s first NCAA title after suffering a devastating loss to No. 16 seed UMBC in the first round of the 2018 NCAA tournament.
Unbelievable will feature:
- Reflections from De’Andre Hunter, Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome and head coach Tony Bennett on the team’s perseverance following the agony of being the first No. 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed
- The moment when Mamadi Diakite hit a buzzer beater to force overtime against Purdue in the Regional Final
- A first-hand account from Kyle Guy on making three straight free throws with 0.6 seconds remaining in the national semifinal game against Auburn
- Reactions following the final buzzer from the title game
Virginia Opens its Season on ACCN
About ACC Network
Owned and operated by ESPN in partnership with the Atlantic Coast Conference, ACC Network (ACCN) is a new 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports launching on August 22, 2019. Approximately 450 live contests including 40 regular-season football games, 150 men’s and women’s basketball games, and 200 other regular-season competitions and tournament games from across the conference’s 27 sponsored sports will be televised annually, plus a complement of news and information shows and original programming. Together, the ACCN and its digital platform, ACC Network Extra (ACCNX), will feature 1,350 ACC events in its first year. ESPN has been televising ACC content since 1979 and has exclusive rights to every conference-controlled game across all sports and championships.
*Carriage agreements are also in place with the following video providers: DIRECTV, Google Fiber, Hulu Live TV, Optimum by Altice, PlayStation Vue, Optimum by Suddenlink, TVision, Verizon Fios, members of the NCTC, NRTC, Vivicast and YouTube TV, among others. All ACCN games will also be available on the ESPN app to authenticated cable subscribers. Fans interested in learning more about ACCN can visit www.GetACCN.com.
Media Contact: Amy Ufnowski [email protected] or 336-337-1249; @AmyUf.