ESPN will televise a national high school football showdown between the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked teams in the country on Friday, Sept. 26, at 9 p.m. ET when No. 1 St. John Bosco (Calif.) takes on No. 2 Bishop Gorman (Nev.) from Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas, Nev. The game will now be televised on ESPN after previously being scheduled for ESPNU.
No. 1 St. John Bosco is led by senior quarterback Josh Rosen, the No.1 pocket-passer (No. 19 overall), senior offensive tackle Zach Robertson (No. 268), and junior athlete D.J. Morgan (No. 289). Coming off a 2013 California State Championship, the top-ranked Braves are 3-0 on the season, having outscored their opponents 153-31.
No. 2 Bishop Gorman winners of five consecutive Nevada Div. 1 State Championships, comes into the matchup with a perfect 5-0 record. Senior Alize Jones, the No. 1 tight end (No. 52) and senior wide receiver Cordell Broadus (No. 133) lead the Gaels, who have scored more than 40 points in four of their five games.
No. 1 St. John Bosco at No. 2 Bishop Gorman is part of the 2014 GEICO ESPN High School Football Showcase.
- Future Bruins: Rosen and Jones have both verbally committed to UCLA, propelling the Bruins to a top 20 recruiting class
- Family Connections: Broadus is the son of Calvin Broadus, Jr., best known as rapper Snoop Dogg. Bishop Gorman running back Biaggio Ali Walsh is the grandson of former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali
o Broadus remains uncommitted, but has offers from at least 15 schools, including Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Southern California and UCLA
- No. 1 vs. No. 2 History: ESPN has twice televised a high school football game featuring the No. 1 vs. No. 2 teams in the country, with the No. 1 team winning both of the previous matchups:o Sept. 15, 2007: No. 1 Miami Northwestern (Fla.) vs. No. 2 Southlake Carroll (Texas)
o Oct. 2, 2009: No. 1 Saint Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) vs. No. 2 Byrnes (S.C.)
- Scouting Reports: ESPN Recruiting Nation offers in-depth scouting reports on a number of participants in the game, including wide receiver Cordell Broadus, safety Nicco Feritta, tight end Alize Jones, athlete D.J. Morgan, offensive tackle Zach Robertson and quarterback Josh Rosen
- Game Preview: Recruiting Nation on ESPNU (Thursdays at 6 p.m.) will preview the much-anticipated matchup and take a closer look at quarterback Rosen.
- Network Change: Friday night’s game was originally scheduled to air on ESPNU, but will now be televised on ESPN
- Join the Conversation: Follow @ESPNU throughout the game for a second screen experience and tag tweets with #1vs2ESPN.
|No. 1 St. John Bosco (Calif.) vs. No. 2 Bishop Gorman (Nev.)
||Fri., Sept. 26, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN*
Jason Benetti, Craig Haubert
|Bishop Gorman High School, Las Vegas, Nev.||
Team rankings are from USA Today
*Originally schedule for ESPNU