ESPN College GameDay Built by The Home Depot – college football’s longest-running and most-celebrated pregame show – will return to Knoxville, Tenn., on Saturday, Sept. 24, in advance of No. 19 Florida at No. 14 Tennessee. The weekly show airs from 9 a.m.-noon on ESPN and will be located on the lawn in front of Ayers Hall on UT’s campus. The last time GameDay visited Knoxville was September 15, 2012, also for the Florida-Tennessee matchup.
The six-time Emmy Award-winning show is hosted by Rece Davis, who is joined by analysts Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack, as well as contributors Chris ‘The Bear’ Fallica, Jen Lada, Samantha Ponder, Tom Rinaldi, George Whitfield and Gene Wojciechowski.
College Football Live will air from the GameDay set on Friday with Ponder, Howard and Pollack (1:30 p.m., ESPN).
Corso began making his entertaining end-of-show headgear pick of the team he thinks will win the game at the GameDay site, marking 20 years this season. Week 4 will be headgear number 280 for Corso, as he is 185-94 all-time in headgear picks. The phenomenon began on October 5, 1996, prior to the Ohio State-Penn State game in Columbus, Ohio when he put on OSU’s “Brutus Buckeye” mascot head to show his pick to win the game – watch here.
- Corso is 1-2 in Florida-Tennessee headgear picks in Knoxville and 2-1 in those picks in Gainesville. He’s picked the favorite all six times.
- Corso has picked Tennessee five times and is 3-2 in those five picks. He has picked against the Vols ten times and is 7-3 in those ten picks.
- He has picked Florida 18 times and is 13-5 in those games. The Gators have won each of the last six games when Corso put on the Gator head. He has picked against Florida 11 times and is just 4-7 in those games (1-4 in last 5, 2-7 in last 9).
- Corso lost his Week 4 pick last year (Arizona over UCLA), which snapped a streak of five straight Week 4 headgear wins.
- He has picked the favorite each of the first three weeks and is 2-1 in headgear picks this year.
- Last season, Corso didn’t win his third game of the year until Week 9. A win here would also give him his first three-game winning streak in the regular season since mid-2014.
‘The Bear’ College GameDay Fun Facts:
- This is the 11th time the show will originate from the state of Tennessee with eight of the 10 originating from Knoxville, once from Nashville and two weeks ago in Bristol.
- The Vols have lost five straight games in Knoxville in which GameDay The last time the Vols won a home game with GameDay present was 1999 when the Vols beat Notre Dame.
- Tennessee is 1-5 in SEC home games with GameDay present with the only win in 1995, beating Georgia 30-27. Tennessee is 0-4 vs. Florida in Knoxville in games attended by GameDay.
- This is the 35th GameDay involving Florida with only Alabama (37) being involved in more.
- This is the 8th Florida-Tennessee matchup GameDay has visited, matching Alabama-LSU for the most frequented game visited. The 2001 Tennessee-Florida meeting in Gainesville provided the biggest upset the show has ever attended as the Volunteers’ were a 17.5 underdog and upset the Gators 34-32.
- First time GameDay has been on an SEC campus in Week 4 since 2008 when the show was at Auburn for the LSU-Auburn.