College GameDay Built by the Home Depot will makes its very first trip to Ames, Iowa, as the Cyclones host the 19 ranked Iowa Hawkeyes. The three-hour pregame show (9 a.m. – noon ET) will be live from Reiman Plaza on Iowa State’s campus, airing on ESPN and ESPNU.
Countdown to GameDay Live sponsored by Coca-Cola and Samsung QLED, will also be live on-site on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and the ESPN App, featuring ESPN college football reporter and analyst Maria Taylor, college football analysts and reporters David Pollack, and Jason Fitz.
The week’s guest picker has not been announced yet.
The show precedes a full day of action across ESPN networks, including ABC Saturday Night Football, as Kirk Herbstreit and Maria Taylor head to Syracuse to call No. 1 Clemson at Syracuse at 7:30 p.m. from the Dome. The duo will join Sean McDonough, who will be receiving the George Arents Award – the highest alumni honor at Syracuse University – this weekend.
- Hilinski No. 3: For most college football players, the number on their jersey is significant, a part of their gameday identity. For South Carolina quarterback Ryan Hilinski, who wears number 3, that numeral means a lot more. The number symbolizes a brother’s eternal bond, and hope for a family trying to heal from unimaginable hardship. This feature is part of an E:60 piece coming this fall. (Reporter: Jen Lada)
- The Cy-Hawk Rivalry: When it comes to rivalries, Iowa and Iowa State may be college football’s best kept secret. We discover the two teams may also have college football’s best-kept trophy secret. (Reporter: Gene Wojciechowski)
- The Bottom of the Pile: We all try to get to the bottom of things, but how about when it comes to getting to the bottom of the pile on the football field? Tom Rinaldi takes us inside the sights, sounds, smells and stories that have come out of that pile.
- Corso has never put on the Iowa State mascot head
- If he puts on Cyclone headgear, it will be the 59thdifferent mascot head he has donned at the end of the show.
- He has twice put on Iowa headgear twice – and the Hawkeyes lost both games – at home vs. Ohio State (2006) and in Columbus against Ohio State (1997)
- Corso has picked against Iowa four times, going 3-1 in those games. Iowa’s only win in the six games GameDay has been present was a 2009 win at Penn State.
- Corso has won six of his last seven headgear picks – the only loser being Auburn’s comeback win against Oregon
Stats from ‘The Bear’
- This will be headgear pick 334 and road show 369.
- Iowa State is the 72nd different school to host GameDay. There are now just 10 Power 5 schools from which GameDay has not originated (Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Kansas, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota and Cal).
- Through the first four weeks of the season, GameDaywill have seen a team from each of the Power 5 conferences at one of its road shows, as Iowa will become the first Big Ten team to be featured on GameDay this season
- This is the 7th Big Ten vs. Big 12 game the show has attended. Big Ten teams are 4-2 in the previous three. Ohio State home losses to Texas and Oklahoma are the two losses.